matching LCD to CRT

I am using the same software and hardware to calibrate LCD and CRT monitors to the same setting(100 LUM, D65, 2.2 gamma) and yet, LCD are much brighter than CRTs

Any idea how I can match LCDs to CRTs?
Thanks,
Faro

You don’t mention what equipment you have, but I am guessing that your software package is not getting your luminance down to 100 on your LCD like you expect. We have a couple of other threads on this forum that sound like they are similar to your situation:

[url]http://one.imports.literateforums.com/t/color-calibration-ho-can-i-get-my-lcd-screento-match-my-crt/600/1]

[url]http://one.imports.literateforums.com/t/brightess-at-0-and-still-too-bright-now-what/516/1]

Hi Pat,

I am using ProfileMaker and iOne to calibrate my CRTs and LCDs on a Mac system.
I have no problem reaching the 100LUM and other settings on both monitors. An image with normal contrast looks the same on both monitors. An image with dark shadows or 3/4 tones look different.Darker tones look much lighter on LCDs than they do on CTRs. The image on CRTs match my proofs dead on.
My understanding is that CRTs and LCDs have different Dmaxes. Then I need a calibrating software that can adjust the Dmax on LCD to match CRTs.
I don’t think PM can do that. Do you agree with my point? If so, what software do you recommend?

Thanks,
Faro

You’ve got it.
With a CRT, black is literally “no color firing to the screen.” But with an LCD, black is actually “the liquid crystals try their best to block out all the light while the backlight is blasting away at its normal brightness.” So you can generally get much darker blacks with a CRT than you can with run-of-the-mill LCDs.

The better LCD’s (Eizo’s and the like) can get blacks down to something like .10 cd/m2. With a normal LCD, the lowest you might go would be .30 or higher. The brightness of your backlight will have something to do with this also. If your LCD brightness is turned down, then the blacks should get darker.

You’re probably going to end up needing to adjust your CRT black to match the blackest your LCD can do if you want them to match in this area. Some software packages, like ColorEyes Display Pro, give you more options: You can choose to scale the blacks to the lowest your monitor can reproduce - so you can see your shadow detail. Or you can choose “absolute” black which does not scale - but is more likely to allow your monitors to match. I don’t think PM can do this either.

Hi Pat,

Thank you for all the info.
I lust downloaded Color Eyes demo.
I don’t quite understand all the choices in settings such as black point settings and all.
Can you point me to any source where it explains different settings?

Thanks,
Faro

Faro:

The guided tour, in the software is the manual. It is very extensive and is updated regularly. There is no external or printed user manual.

Rick Hatmaker

On Oct 16, 2008, at 11:22 PM, Faro wrote:

Post generated from email list