A job for ColorThink?

How exactly does one determine how much of the Adobe RGB working space or, for that matter any working space, which a given CRT/LCD is capable of displaying?

Is this a job for ColorThink (yes, I own it but have not yet had time to get into it) or is there some other means of determining the “outer limits” of a monitor’s display capabilities?

Thanks,

David

At 9:42 PM -0800 12/23/04, David wrote:

How exactly does one determine how much of the Adobe RGB working space or, for that matter any working space, which a given CRT/LCD is capable of displaying?

There are a couple of ways of doing this… see below

Is this a job for ColorThink (yes, I own it but have not yet had time to get into it) or is there some other means of determining the “outer limits” of a monitor’s display capabilities?

If you want to see a graphical representation of how two gamuts compare; in size, shape, whatever, then ColorThink will certainly do that. It will give you an idea of the “positioning” of the RGB colorants (phosphors on CRT, filters on LCD) in the Lab or Yxy color spaces. I suggest for simple monitor comparisons that you try the Yxy in 2D as it reduces monitor gamuts to simple triangles and it is easy to see how they differ.

Now, if you want to see it in image form try this:

• open some image that is in your working space OR create an image using gradients, etc that has many fully saturated colors
  • go into View:Proof Setup->custom and select your monitor profile, then click OK
  • turn on the gamut warning in View: Gamut Warning

Photoshop will shade the colors that are in the working space but outside your monitor’s gamut.

Some people say “why would I want to proof my monitor on my monitor?” but this is the only way to get Photoshop to use your monitor profile when it calculates gamut warning.

nifty no?

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list