Adobe Gamma before Eye One: newbie question

I am a novice. Probably undeserving of this forum even.

I have done some reading, however, and I was intending to buy the Eye One calibration software. That is, until I happened upon this forum. Seeing all the folks whose 17 inch Dell monitors are not calibrating, I started to worry about the money involved, and perhaps getting in over my head. Unitl I read some threads here, it never occurred to me that certain monitors were not “calibrate-able.”

Before buying the expensive software solution, I want to give the Adobe Gamma utility a chance. This gentleman seems to think it will work for a large number of folks.
normankoren.com/makingfinepr … alibration

However, I had trouble following the instructions on how best to set the Gamma for my monitor. Before I start to tinker, I want to know if there is a simple tutorial on the steps to follow with the Adobe Gamma software. (I have a Dell Ultra Sharp digital LCD monitor.)

Can someone send me a link or some simple advice? Thanks in advance.

Marie,

Even an inexpensive monitor calibration solution is (IMHO) better than relying on the Adobe Gamma Utility.

Even though I have not used it, may I suggest:

pantone.com/products/product … roduct=103

[quote="

t_username"]
I am a novice. Probably undeserving of this forum even.
Before buying the expensive software solution, I want to give the Adobe Gamma utility a chance. This gentleman seems to think it will work for a large number of folks.
normankoren.com/makingfinepr … alibration

However, I had trouble following the instructions on how best to set the Gamma for my monitor. Before I start to tinker, I want to know if there is a simple tutorial on the steps to follow with the Adobe Gamma software. (I have a Dell Ultra Sharp digital LCD monitor.)

Can someone send me a link or some simple advice? Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

You do need some kind of hardware to create a worthwhile profile. The human eye cannot accurately judge what is white, which makes Gamma almost useless for most applications. Even though you may not be able to calibrate your monitor, you can profile it. That will allow a application like Photoshop to correctly you images. For less than $100 you can get the Pantone Huey which will be a good step if you don’t want to spend the $220 for a Optix XR or a Eye-One Display.

Thanks guys. Do you mind telling me why the other 2 would be better? I like the sounds of $89 versus the $250 for the others. But I also do not want to spend $89 only to find out I ultimately need the $250 product.

Also, any places where there might be coupons or rebates for the Eye One product? (That is the one I will purchase if I go high-end.)

Thanks for any help.

The eye one is a great product and the software is easy to learn.

I didnt know the huey would generate the base profile. I thought it just adjusted for light conditions