Any chance of some documentation for CT Pro?

Steve,

To make use of the features in CT Pro I think we badly need some documentation for the new features that weren’t in previous versions of CT.

Do you have any plans for this?

Any timetable for its production?

TIA

Alan

I’d add that I’d be willing to part with some coin to attend a Colorthink webinar/webex session. Your road-show demo is all it would take really.

Both the ColorThink 2 and ColorThink Pro manuals are on our www.colorwiki.com site under the section for manuals:

colorwiki.com/wiki/ColorThink_Pro_3_Manual

This is what many people ask… a better manual thank you…

Colorthink tutorials are pretty sad in they show you
How to see if you profile is neutral and than tell you that if you
find it is not you have to rebuild your profile. This really seems
like only half of the equation as they don’t go into any explanation
of what changes to make or how one would take the data and get a
better profile as a result. It is like reading mystery novel and when
you get to the end you find out the last chapter is missing.

How do you start with one setting, create the profile, evaluate
the profile in colorthink and than make an educated decision on what
settings in your profile software to modify? This is the piece of the
puzzle I don’t get and is not explained anywhere I can see. Even in
books like Andrew Rodney’s Color Management for Photographers he talks
about how good Colorthinks graphing is but again does nothing in
saying what to do with this graph.

Soren

Soren,
A most appropriate analogy, I must say!
The graphing capabilities of CT are good for an overall visual idea of profile comparison. However, I have found no link between the graphs and the color data itself. The Color Worksheet shows a table based on a grid selection, but doesn’t graph these corresponding points. It would seem that if you have a worksheet open, then selecte a range of data points, press Ctrl-2 or CTrl-3, then you’d get a targeted data graph. I haven’t found any way of doing this in the docs. You or anyone else know if this can be done?
Regards,
George

George wrote:
The Color Worksheet shows a table based on a grid selection, but doesn’t graph these corresponding points. It would seem that if you have a worksheet open, then selecte a range of data points, press Ctrl-2 or CTrl-3, then you’d get a targeted data graph. I haven’t found any way of doing this in the docs. You or anyone else know if this can be done?
Regards,
George

I have the same problem, it does not work. I tried with “extract unique colors” and then selected a range of colors. By pressing the Ctrl-2 or Ctrl-3 opens up the graph but nothing more happens :frowning:

Did you have a look at the “Gamutvision” software? Its very nice and not as buggy as CTP and Norman is very responsive if you mail him. I have just mailed him points I wish could be implemented in the software. He will have a look into it and said it would not be a big problem.

Soren

Soren
I’ve tried out Gamutvision, but not in the last 6 months or so. I had a phone conversation with Norman a while back about some ideas with the prog and he was very open to implementation. There was an issue at the time with his use of specific targets in the workflow that I was concerned about, but for the life of me, I can’t find my notes on it.
I’m going to take another look at it this week though as CT Pro is driving me batty.
Thanx,
George

At 10:18 AM -0800 3/9/07, soren wrote:

I appreciate you are looking for more information but this extra step is along the lines of an intelligent analysis system which can be very difficult to build. There are many reasons why errors such as this can creep into a profile and determining the best method of correction can be tough (basically, it requires an experienced technician to know).

what I suggest is using ColorThink to diagnose such problems and, if possible, help isolate their source and then ask around (this list works fine).

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com

Post generated from email list

At 3:45 AM -0800 3/10/07, VG wrote:

Actually control-2 or control-3 will simply open the Grapher (empty).

The Worksheet can hold many different sources of color information (multiple lists, images, profiles) so simply opening a graph would have it graph all of them? Seems to complicated.

The best method to graph color data is to select the popup menu above one of the lists (there is a popup for each transformation’s list) and choose ‘graph’

Regards,

Steve

At 4:27 AM -0700 3/11/07, soren wrote:

again, that will simply open the Grapher.

Selecting a list’s popup and choosing ‘graph’ will graph them. It will not graph a sub-set of the list but you can select a range of the list and the colors will be highlighted in the graph.

Regards,

Steve

At 12:52 PM -0700 3/13/07, VG wrote:

I am interested to hear more about what you mean here. I have worked very hard to make a user interface that is as flexible and intuitive as possible. There really isn’t anything like a Color Worksheet available today to use as a model except, of course, Excel.

so if I have a worksheet containing 4 transformations (4 columns) each with its own list of color data and ICC profile you would have ColorThink Pro graph all of them at once? That would be an awfully crowded graph… My thinking was to have a sheet containing many different color data types and the user could selectively graph and compare them as desired. For instance, the colors at the beginning and end of a workflow (and their comparison) may be of interest to a user and not the intermediary colors.

I’m not clear on this one. Vectors are one of the most popular forms of color comparison in ColorThink. Am I missing something?

Not sure what you mean here.

You may be dealing with an issue that has been fixed since version 3.0. The Grapher can be resized by its lower right corner and the graphs themselves can be resized at any time by alt-dragging the graph itself (this use of alt needs to change I appreciate - I guess I’ll have to go with control)

Regards,

Steve

Why cant there be a nice pdf file of the documentation