CHROMiX

Averaging with i1Profiler

While reacquainting myself with Profiler, I found the description of how to average measurements while building a profile. xrite.com/product_overview.a … ortID=5709

I tried it and got a normal looking profile. Having tried it again, I now get a profile that looks like someone has attacked it with a knife. I used three measurement files, which, by themselves, produce a normal looking profile.

I’m baffled. but that’s no surprise with this stuff. Here’s a link to the Profiler display: jeff-grant.com/photo21363760.html

It’s good to be able to answer one’s own questions. A lot more hunting has shown that one of my i1 Pro’s is faulty. Thanks to CT Pro, I was able to compare two lists and discovered that the i1 was behaving erratically. Taking it out of the equation has shown me that the i1 on an io is a pretty repeatable measuring combo.

Ah! Good to see that ColorThink Pro was able to help diagnose the problem. You’ve probably come across this already, but for the benefit of other readers of this thread: X-Rite has a “Diagnostic Utility” which is very handy for getting an idea if your i1Pro is still good or not.
xrite.com/product_overview.a … areID=1261

This is a very simple piece of software that will have you run the i1Pro through its paces, and tells you at the end whether it passes all its tests or not. It’s also helpful to run these tests when you know your device is in good shape, so you can compare the results a few years down the road when you suspect a problem. I don’t want to oversell this - it’s a very simple program. It might error on the side of telling you things are fine when they are not, but I have seldom seen it show a device is bad when it is actually good.

I’m glad to see X-Rite is carrying this forward and upgrading it to work on the i1Pro2, IO table 2, etc.

Funnily enough, i1 diagnostics declared the defective i1Pro as OK. I ran the diagnostic a couple of times and it passed each time. I’m now arranging conversion of my i1io and buying a new i1Pro2. This is what X-Rite are strongly recommending.

I have to say that after using i1Pro’s (various revisions) for the past 10 years or so, always manually/strip measured though, the i1pro2 is a dream when it comes to taking strip measurements on the new backing board, especially as I like to take multiple reads for the purpose of averaging.

I find it heaps quicker and more repeatable and can have much smaller patches with 100% accuracy, compared with the original i1pro models. I’m very happy with my purchase of the i1pro2.

That’s good to hear. It may ease the pain of the conversion cost.