Best Working Colorspace

I’ve read that Adobe RGB is the most appropriate colorspace for digital imaging for its wide gamut. However, when I pulled-up my printer profile in ColorThink and compared it to the monitor profile and the various color spaces, the best “white” match seems to line up with ColorMatch–not Adobe RGB. The white in Adobe RGB seems to be offset along with the one whole side of the gamut (wish I could attach an image!).

I’m wondering whether or not this mismatch is worth being concerned about if I want to use AdobeRGB as my standard working space (since it does not clip as many colors as ColorMatch).

Details: Profiling a Noritsu dDP 421 printer, an RGB device (the printer is a joint effort between Noritsu and Epson). Printer profile generated in ProfileMaker 4.1.5 with an eye one. Using an Apple Cinema Display profiled using Eye-One Match.

Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.[/img]

You might like to try ProPhotoRGB instead of Adobe RGB as a working space. It seems be a larger space and also has a white point which aligns with the “L” axis. Some people advise against using “too large” a space because they are concerned about rounding errors. I generally use 16bit colour in Photoshop so this should not ever be a problem for me.

I suspect that the deviation from the “L” axis which AdobeRGB displays may have something to do with the colour temperature of the white point - but I am not sure about this.

Simon

The whitepoint mismatch does not matter because when you do color conversions there will be whitepoint compensation which syncs the whitepoint of the source space (i.e. AdobeRGB, 6500K) to that of the destination space (let’s say the paper white). Originally it applies only to the perceptual, saturation and relative rendering intents, not to the absolute rendering intent. However, now in the current ACE(Adobe Color Engine) CMM, the whitepoint compensation or adaptation always takes place. If you use earier versions of Photoshop or other CMMs in CS2, then the whitepoint compensation may not apply to the absolute renderng intent, as supposed to be normal.