Calibrating & Profiling New Samsung Monitor

Hi, can anyone please help, I’m trying my hardest to bring into line a Samsung monitor with my Eye-One Spectro using the Eye-One Match software.
I’m not that new to calibrating monitors but not that experienced either as I’ve only really needed to calibrated Apple’s Cinema HD’s up till now. A small part of the experience I seem to be lacking is a contrast button on the Apple monitors compared to the Samsung. However I’ve always thought it best to set the contrast high, in my case 80% here, and this seems to be fine in the Eye-One Match software with contrast being found in the middle green target area.
The concern is luminance and gamma, the latter after getting crazy orangey problems in neutral finder elements like the menu bar at the top of the screen, so I’ve set the EOM software to Advanced LCD>>Native Gamma to stop the problem or should I be loading the Samsung factory supplied profile as a starting point here.
The luminance is starting out at the ‘120 Recommended LCD’ setting, however when using EOM software and again trying to get the luminance value to hit the desired middle green target area I’m having to lower my monitor setting to 35 brightness as EOM software is topping out at 256 or something similar at the very far right hand side of the bar, so once I’ve reduced my brightness my monitor is now great with contrast but terrible with brightness.

Sorry for the long post but I’d really appreciate any help here as all three Samsung monitors were expensive and should be able to display better than they are at present but I wasn’t the one who got to choose these monitors for a few new PC machines at work.

P.S. I’ve just had to send my Eye-One Spectro to be serviced in Switzerland and have just this week tried it out by linearising and profiling a few substrates for the HP Z6100 with ONYX’s ProductionHouse without any problems, so there can’t be an issue with the device itself.

Thanks in advance,
Christian Macey

Hi Christian,

I’m using the same software you are along with my GMB i1 Display 2 colorimeter. I recommend going the ‘Advanced’ route in your software as you said you did, which is good. You haven’t listed what brightness level you calibrated your old Apple display to so I can’t tell if you’re comparing apples to apples (no pun intended) as far as brightness goes. One reason your monitor may seem so dim is because, simply, it is. You haven’t mentioned your lighting conditions; are you viewing your monitor under standard lighting levels? This is most likely the problem if you are. At 120 cd/m2, your monitor should be viewed under dim lighting conditions with no outside light coming through your windows. I like to have my room lit so that I can see just enough to not trip over anything. This is because the color of the lighting can influence how our eyes see colors and I try to eliminate it as much as possible.

As far as gamma is concerned, I calibrate mine to a gamma of 2.2 which is considered the recommended value and that’s what I suggest you start out with if you’re on a Windows computer. In the drop down list that lists your different gamma settings, choose 2.2. For a long time the Macs were calibrated with a gamma of 1.8 so if this is what you’re used to seeing, this could explain why things appear weird to you if you’ve made the switch to Windows.

Hi Christian,

You’ve already gotten a lot of good advice from the Colorsync User’s list. Your strange orangy screen elements might be due to the universal access contrast being turned up. Since you are on a Mac, check your system preferences, under Universal Access to see that the “Enhance contrast” slider is not turned up. This should stay at Normal. Some profiling systems get freaked out and throw out some weird colors when this is anything other than “normal.”

Monitor profiles don’t “build” onto each other, so it doesn’t matter what profile you have as a starting point.

120 cd/m2 is a good starting point for LCD screens. You don’t mention why the brightness ends up terrible? Is it because the darker screen is not what you are used to (when the screen is brighter?) Or is it because the display does not match your prints? Some more information here would help us understand what you are going for.

Hello, I am not an expert to these calibration settings but a specific need compelled me to search for necessary suggestions.
I was working as usual on my PC with Photoshop and there was a pop up suddenly mentioning “lcd color management and conversion’ appears to be defective. please rerun your monitor calibration software.” It had two options ignore profile and use anyway but clicking the latter does not let me use the white color. I am in a fix, is there any help that I can expect from this place.

Have you tried making a new monitor profile? Do you have a calibration device (like a Spyder or an i1 puck?)

Also, what do you mean that it does not let you use the white color?