Color Calibration: i1 Display PRO vs Spyder 4 Elite

I have this monitor: newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6824009316

Even since I got it, I knew I was going to have to have my monitor calibrated. So I did some research and found out about these 2 color meters, and also the Colormunki.

I will be upgrading to a new monitor, like one of the best on Newegg, later. But for now I wanted to buy a color meter to get my monitor as true to true color as I can.

The work I’ll be doing is professional and is mainly video editing, 3d modeling / animation, website design.

So with the video editing and website design I need ACCURATE color. I’m just not sure which is the best. I’ve heard that the Spyder4 software is better to use and such but I want which will get me closest to true color. So does anyone know which is more accurate on the actual color display?

I really need to get my color, brightness, etc, under control before I make these templates. Being a professional I need to know that what I release is based on a true workstation.

I mean what does Pixar, Disney, etc, use? I’m sure their not worried about color because?

Thanks!

Here’s an article from one of our newsletters that talks about the differences between different monitor calibration devices. It’s a bit dated now, but the descriptions of the differences between colorimeters and spectrophotometers is still valid:
colorwiki.com/wiki/Profiling … r_Monitors

If you’re truly looking for accuracy, the thing to get is a DISCUS. Professionals use this to get the best calibration, and it has been shown to be the most accurate of all the commercially available instruments out there:
www2.chromix.com/colorgear/shop … olid=50140
colorwiki.com/wiki/DISCUS_Review

I know it’s pricey, but you asked for what Pixar and Disney would use.

Another option if you are getting a new display anyway is to pick up an Eizo that has an advanced colorimeter built into the display. These are extremely good displays and are coupled with a top of the line measurement device. You can even set these displays so that they self-calibrate after you go home for the day.
www2.chromix.com/colorgear/shop … olid=50211

If that is out of your price range, both the Spyder 4 and the i1Display Pro would be good choices. If I had to choose one I would go with the i1Display Pro.

1. How do you know they use the basICColor DISCUS? Link?

2. It’s $2,500 to use it nonstop on as many PCs as you want? Geez…

3. Why would you choose the i1 Display PRO over the Spyder 4 Elite? Is it more accurate?

4. Does the i1 Display PRO and the Spyder 4 Elite even come close to the DISCUS?

5. I’m going to be doing professional video editing, is it even worth buying the Display or Spyder, or just buy the DISCUS? Because I need color to be accurate.

Here is a link to a comparison between the i1Display Pro and the DISCUS at the Dry Creek Photo website:
drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Cali … _i1D3.html
Unfortunately this was done before the Spyder 4 came out, so you don’t have that for comparison.

If you really, really want accuracy, you could go with the spectroradiometer mentioned in this article:
drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Cali … dware.html
(at something like $13,000)

I have not had a chance to compare a Spyder 4 with an i1Display Pro directly - so I can’t give you a definitive reason to prefer one over the other. As I say, I would tip the scale toward the i1Display Pro mainly because of the good reputation X-Rite has with their instruments, and I have seen it produce very dark black measurements (so it should do well with representing shadows).

It really boils down to how important accuracy is to you. For most people, an i1Display Pro or Spyder4 does a good job and keeps their displays calibrated so they can get dependable color they can count on. But there are those who need and want something more in terms of accuracy, and that’s what the DISCUS was made for. It not only is more accurate, but more consistent month after month, from one calibration to the next - and it is made to last, with filters and materials that will not deteriorate over time.

So it looks like I need to buy one of these then buy the DISCUS when I have $1,500 to spend on color, yes?

I’m not sure why you put $13,000? Did you mean $1,300?

I guess they should be good enough to hold me off.

Probably not. List price for a PR-670 was around $12,800 when I priced one for the University last year.

-Brian