ColorThink 2.1.2 - Does it map some CMYK images wrong?

Hi.
I’m a long-time user, first time poster. :slight_smile:

Anyway, here’s my problem. I’ve meant to ask this for a long time but never took the effort to put together an example of what I’m talking about until now.

I’ve posted the image link below comparing how ColorThink sees the CMYK mapping of an image vs. how Monaco GamutWorks sees the image plot.
Is this a known bug? I searched the forum but didn’t find anything. It seems to act the same way with images containing embedded v2 or v4 profiles.

Any clarification would be helpful. RGB images map out correctly. It just seems to be CMYK images.
Thank you in advance.

I’ve provided the image to refer to below:
home.hiwaay.net/~robrackn/RG/Gamuts.jpg

Can someone plase explain why it’s mapping the same file differently?
I will be happy to supply the file in question if it wil help.
Am I doing something wrong in ColorThink?

At 12:08 PM -0700 7/13/05, richardbrackin wrote:

Hi.
I’m a long-time user, first time poster. :slight_smile:

Anyway, here’s my problem.

I’ve posted the image here comparing how ColorThink sees the CMYK mapping of an image vs. how Monaco GamutWorks sees the image plot.
Is this a known bug? I searched the forum but didn’t find anything. It seems to act the same way with images containing embedded v2 or v4 profiles.

Any clarification would be helpful. RGB images map out correctly. It just seems to be CMYK images.
Thank you in advance.

Ok,

a two-part answer.

Part 1 - ColorThink does not fully support CMYK images at this time. The Pro version that we are working on right now will and the non-pro one will also support them in the future. This is documented in the manual somewhere but I didn’t build a warning into the software which leads to confusion. What happens is that Quicktime converts the file prior to ColorThink getting it (for CMYK images only). As a result, ColorThink is handed an RGB image which it them graphs. The conversion can actually work OK and give you a reasonable feeling for gamut of the image… typically. But this also needs to be fixed and will be…

Part 2 - something strange is happening to your image. The conversion I just mentioned does not mess things up like in your graph (at least not typically)… Can you send me a copy of the image (offline to bugfix (at) chromix.com) so I can take a look?

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

Thanks for the info.
Certainly. I’ll send the image … it’s gonna be Monday morning before I can get it to you. I hope that’s ok.

Thanks
Richard