Dual monitor matching

I have two monitors of two different makes – a Dell and a Samsung. I have the ATI AIW x800xt that supports the dual monitor set up. I use Eye-One Photo and matching to produce profiles for each monitor. Windows XP SP2. I am using the Microsoft Color Panel applet. It appears to be working with these monitors.
The question that I have is whether I should be able to expect the calibration process of two different monitors to produce an image to look the same in both monitors. (I want to be able to, eg, look at an image in Photoshop, move it to the secondary monitor and then open up another image in the primary monitor and compare the images.)
Thanks for any input.
Pete

Unfortunately not. I have tried this exact same setup (with the new Color Control Applet except, I am using a GeForce 7800GTX & a Dell 2405FPW & Dell 2005FPW monitors) & have unahppily found this to not be possible. Apparently, there are very few graphics cards that can actually accomplish having 2 different profiles for each separate monitor.

I’ve made profiles using i1 Photo/Match 3.2/PM5.0.5b & all get the same results. The profiles are great when used with a single monitor but whenever I install the 2nd profile, it becomes the active profile for BOTH monitors. Even in the Color Control Applet, it says 2 different profiles are installed for the 2 different monitors but it still makes no difference. Whichever I install last is the one used for both screens. :imp:

The easiest way I have been told to rectify this is to purchase a cheap 2nd graphics card as then you can assign a profile to each monitor on each separate card.

Other than that, there is no way it’s possible in Windows XP SP2 unless you get a graphics card that does support 2 separate profiles on 2 separate monitors.

Hope that helps mate.
P.S. If anyone does know of a way around this with just one graphics card, please let me know as well.

The problem is that most (all?) of the “dual head” or two output cards have only one look up table.

The only way I have been able to do this is as suggested; use two cards. I suspect that the cards which are capable of seperate profiles on each monitor would show up in Device Manager as two seperate entities.

I can’t be sure that the separate profiles that I have created, are being applied by the Microsoft Color applet correctly to each monitor. However, it sure appears that way. Importantly, the yellowish cast on my secondary monitor has now been corrected and now my two monitors look similar.

It is obvious that a profile(s) is being applied at startup. I do loose it when I bring the system out of hibernation. I can reapply either by doing a restart or going into the control panel > color, changing the default profile to any other, clicking apply and then go back to the profile that I want to use, clicking on the default profile buttom and click apply.

So far so good.