Eizo CG275W Calibration Targets For Color Navigator

Hi,

I just purchased an Eizo CG275W and I am about to calibrate it using an i1Display Pro and Color Navigator 6.1.1.3.

I want to calibrate for sRGB, Rec 709 and Adobe RGB and I’m unsure about some settings, here’s what I got so far:

(1.) sRGB

Gamut: Monitor Native (?)
Brightness: 80 cd/m2 (?)
White point: D65
Black: minimum
Tone curve: Gamma 2.2
Tone Curve Priority: Gray balance (?)

–> I’m unsure about Gamut, Brightness and Tone Curve Priority

(2.) Rec 709
White point: D65
Tone curve: Gamma 2.5

–> I’m unsure about Gamut, Brightness and Tone Curve Priority

(3.) Adobe RGB
White point: 5000K (?)
Tone curve: Gamma 2.2 (?)

–> I’m unsure about pretty much everything here… :wink:

What calibration settings should I use for the 3 targets above ?

What other targets have you calibrated for and what were the settings ?

Thanks.

• M

Hi Michael,

Just for the sake of others reading this thread, you’re talking about which settings to choose when setting up a new target in ColorNavigator.

Under Gamut:, when you want to emulate sRGB, AdobeRGB, etc., you would just choose those profiles further down the list instead of “monitor native”.

You can download Rec 709 from the Adobe site here:
adobe.com/support/downloads/ … ftpID=4074

A good Brightness setting will range anywhere from 80 to 120 cd/m2, depending on how bright your ambient lighting is in the room. If you work in a “cave-like” setting then you’d want your monitor brightness to be around 80 or less. If your display is sitting in a fairly bright office, then you’d want to go in the direction of 120. Sorry to be so vague, but our eyes get used to whatever brightness (and color) of room light we’re in and your monitor should reflect that. Otherwise a really bright monitor would burn your eyes out if you were in a dark room, and a dim monitor would look really flat in a bright room. Which ever setting you choose, the CN software will calibrate and profile the display to reproduce all the colors accurately according to your settings.

White point should be D65 for 1, 2, & 3.

Gamma should be L* (move the slider all the way to the right - past 2.6 - to get to the L* setting) for 1, 2, & 3…

Tone Curve priority should be Gray balance for 1, 2, & 3… You want your grays to be as neutral and accurate as possible.

Most people like to use the emulations you’re using: sRGB & AdobeRGB. Some will use this feature to have the display emulate the gamut of their printer, so that the whole screen becomes a “soft-proofer”. It’s also a good idea to have one additional target pointed at the Monitor Native setting of the display, so that once in awhile you can view an image in all its glory, using the full saturation that the display is capable of.

Pat, thanks for explaining that ! :wink:

Yes, I was referring to creating a new target in CN and I was confused about a couple of points, especially b/c there was no Rec. 709 gamut setting to select… But then I found the custom entry option where you can easily define the RGB primaries for any gamut (sRGB & Rec 709 have same gamut anyways), so that makes it very easy…

GAMMA

Here’s how I understand Gamma for Rec 709 & sRGB:

Gamma for Rec 709 should be 2.4 (2.5 up top was a typo on my part) - that is what the ITU has set it to currently - that displays an end-to-end final image gamma of ~ 1.2 on screen…

Gamma for sRGB should be 2.2 which comes closest to the hybrid sRGB response function (slope offset and curve).

I think that would simulate these 2 color spaces pretty accurately… I’m not sure when you choose L* as tonal response curve, how close it would come to these 2 (although L* might be more realistic for human vision) - highest priority for me is to create a reference display for these color spaces.

LUMINANCE

Thank you for your input, I’ll stick with a compromise of 100 cd / m2. I’m still not sure about the brightness of Adobe RGB - recommended luminance is 160 cd / m2 - but as stated in the other thread once you go above 120 cd / m2 with the Eizo, the warranty is invalid…

TONE RESPONSE PRIORITY

What would you say about tone response priority ? Gray balance ?

Thanks again !

• M