Epson 9800, 7800 and 4800 series!

Hello all,

I want to start a discussion about what are the best Inkjet printers? So…
What are your opinions regarding the new Epsons 9800, 7800 and 4800?
What do you think about HP30, HP130 and HP DesignJet 5500?
What about Canon ImagePROGRAF printers?

The new Epson printers seems to be fantastic, I know from someone with very hi skills in color management and that is already using an Epson 4800 that the new Ultrachrome K3 ink is great; it has even higher gamut, much neutral Photo Black and very deep black with a L value as low as 2.6! (I don’t know the paper, but I’m sure it’s not Epson paper and is not glossy). Apparently Epson promises are true.

In my opinion, HP is far away in the Inkjet technology their DJ5500 is ancient and very unstable for proofing (they must stay with their color lasers that are very good) and Canon has some amazing technology in their small printers but their plotters are good and very fast but can’t compete with a technology like Variable-Sized Droplet Micro Piezo and in color permanence with UltraChrome.

What are your comments?

Xavier

I for one am pretty stoked about the new Epson 800 series and UCK3 inks. We started out using HP printers for proofing/remote proofing (HP20ps/HP5000). Stability and inconsistency was an issue, as well as some mechanical issues with the HP20s. The proofs were sometimes good, sometimes less than good, but hey, it’s an inkjet and their just to get a feel for the color, not to take to press, right? All that changed when we started using Epson Ultrachrome proofers. Accuracy, stability and consistency made it possible to actually sell these proofs and take them all the way to press side.

Now the new K3 inks appear to address my biggest issues with Epson proofs…weak black density, bronzing, as well as a larger gamut for more accurate spot color matching. I haven’t seen any samples yet, but certainly looking forward to the new models.

I’ve heard some really good things about the Canon line, but Epson has a pretty strong foothold in this particular market, and with the introduction of these new printers, I think its only going to get bigger.

At 5:21 PM -0700 5/12/05, xavier_DE0 wrote:

Hello all,

I want to start a discussion about what are the best Inkjet printers? So…
What are your opinions regarding the new Epsons 9800, 7800 and 4800?

Joseph Holmes just wrote a great article on his website about the new printers:

http://www.josephholmes.com/news.html

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list