Epson R800 dark restitution problem

Hello,
I have a problem with my new Epson Stylus Photo R800:

Black printing is not dark enough. My settings are “No Calibration” with
“Photo quality paper”. I use Epson Ink and Epson photo Paper, and when I
print a black RGB(0,0,0), Lab Measure L is 22,8 ! Nearly gray.
I must print some dark colors with L = 16…

Do you have an idea ? Maybe the printer needs to work for several day to be
able to print it’s pure color ?

Thank you.

Bob.

At 12:13 AM -0700 4/19/05, Bob wrote:

Hello,
I have a problem with my new Epson Stylus Photo R800:

Black printing is not dark enough. My settings are “No Calibration” with
“Photo quality paper”. I use Epson Ink and Epson photo Paper, and when I
print a black RGB(0,0,0), Lab Measure L is 22,8 ! Nearly gray.
I must print some dark colors with L = 16…

Do you have an idea ? Maybe the printer needs to work for several day to be
able to print it’s pure color ?

interesting… which paper are you actually using?

when you print on a gloss paper does it get very dark (visually, not measurement)

how does it look to the eye? Sometimes scattering from a bumpy surface will fool an instrument into thinking it is much lighter than it actually appears to the eye…

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

Hi Steve!

The problem doesn’t come from the measure instrument (eyeOne). Because when I measure black from my elder Epson photo 950 on the same photo quality paper, I get L=15 (instead of 22) on the R800.

You can see by eye on the printing that the R800 black of is a lot lighter then on the 950.

Following your suggestion I’ve tried to print on gloss photo paper, and this time, I got black with L=3 !

So it seems that Epson wants to sell it’s photo paper if you know what I mean…

The problem is that I don’t print photos and I must absolutely use matte paper. Don’t you have a trick to get better colors even on matte paper?

Thanx a lot.

Bob.

What a miracle… Never heard of such.

At 2:08 AM -0700 4/20/05, Bob wrote:

Hi Steve!

The problem doesn’t come from the measure instrument (eyeOne). Because when I measure black from my elder Epson photo 950 on the same photo quality paper, I get L=15 (instead of 22) on the R800.

OK, that makes sense. Good to have a point of comparison.

You can see by eye on the printing that the R800 black of is a lot lighter then on the 950.

Following your suggestion I’ve tried to print on gloss photo paper, and this time, I got black with L=3 !

wow, OK, that’s a difference.

So it seems that Epson wants to sell it’s photo paper if you know what I mean…

yep

The problem is that I don’t print photos and I must absolutely use matte paper. Don’t you have a trick to get better colors even on matte paper?

well… The only thing that comes to mind for that printer, using the RGB-based drivers is to try choosing different media types and see if any of them put down more ink. It might screw up your linearity but you are profiling so that helps…

Or you could drive it with a RIP and see if CMYK control over the printer gives you access to more ink. If you are OS 10 you could also try setting up a GIMP-print driver and see if the CMYK control it affords gives you better density. The screening might bite though. I’m waiting for v5 which is supposed to be much better at that.

I suppose you could also try different matte papers as well. This helps illustrate one reason why Epson has two blacks for some of the other printers…

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list