epson water resistant canvas and eye-one

Having some trouble getting a profile on this epson canvas, prints are turning out very dark. Does the eye one’s measurement of charts take into account glare from off the canvas, or is this a non-issue when profiling?

Have any of you had work arounds for printing on canvas, and getting it to resemble say enhanced matte?

Printing on epson 4000, 7600 using ultrachrome inks.

At 2:20 PM -0700 9/30/05, john P. wrote:

Having some trouble getting a profile on this epson canvas, prints are turning out very dark. Does the eye one’s measurement of charts take into account glare from off the canvas, or is this a non-issue when profiling?

Have any of you had work arounds for printing on canvas, and getting it to resemble say enhanced matte?

Printing on epson 4000, 7600 using ultrachrome inks.

Canvas can be a problem as can laminated materials. Chances are that what you are seeing is caused by excessive scattering of light from the surface of the canvas. Very little light coming back to the i1 results in dark readings.

We use a polarizing filter on a Spectrolino to take these readings. It tends to be very slow taking the readings but is able to compensate for the scattering. It also gets much better detail in the shadows.

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

Lino’s filters are the solution to many profiling problems, like Optical Brighteners (where profilemaker fails to compensate) or in this case Canvas Profiling.

I am thinking purchasing a lino/scan bundle, but i really dont have 45 minutes lino needs to measure the targets with 1 pass, and x3 if you need 3 passes for averaging.

I hope GMB have a replacement on the way. I dont want to spend $5000 for a slow 5 years old instument.
:frowning:

No doubt…why not simply user-changable filters for the Eye-One? Or the ICColor for that matter. I don’t get it. The Xrite DTP 70 has a switchable UV filter at least. Maybe a pol filter would be difficult to implement on an i1 in scanning mode though, if it slows down the Spectrolino, but still…