Eye-One Display 2 Problem

I recently pruchased the Display 2 package to calibrate my CRT. I went through the whole process and my monitor now looks horrible…it is contrasty and bright to the point of giving me a headache after two minutes of viewing. More specifically, it looks like the monitor cannot produce real black…where the screen should be black (even within the Greta interface) it is way too bright.

Here’s where I think I have a problem: when going through the contrast and brightness steps, the system is recommending 100% contrast and 75% brightness. I can’t imagine this is correct. My white point is set at 6500K and my luminance is at 100. I’ve used the RBG guns on my monitor and using the Greta tool sliders I’ve hit both those targets dead on.

Have I done something incorrectly? What could be going on? For more detail see this discussion at the fred miranda forums: fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/244933

You’ll need a log-on.

Thanks in advance.

At 7:40 AM -0700 6/29/05, spicynuts wrote:

I recently pruchased the Display 2 package to calibrate my CRT. I went through the whole process and my monitor now looks horrible…it is contrasty and bright to the point of giving me a headache after two minutes of viewing. More specifically, it looks like the monitor cannot produce real black…where the screen should be black (even within the Greta interface) it is way too bright.

Here’s where I think I have a problem: when going through the contrast and brightness steps, the system is recommending 100% contrast and 75% brightness. I can’t imagine this is correct. My white point is set at 6500K and my luminance is at 100. I’ve used the RBG guns on my monitor and using the Greta tool sliders I’ve hit both those targets dead on.

Have I done something incorrectly? What could be going on?

I like the GretagMacbeth tools overall but I have never agreed with any tool using an instrument to adjust the brightness level.

How you set the brightness level is very dependent on the ambient brightness in your room. If you are in a bright environment, you need the brightness set higher so the ambient light doesn’t clobber all your shadow detail. The opposite is true for a darker room.

I would suggest that you set the brightness by eye. Look at the edge of the raster (actual imaging area of the CRT) compared with the black beside it. I recommend setting the brightness so you can just barely see a difference. Do this when your lighting is at its normal level. Then you can turn down the lights and let the software do the rest.

All this talk about brightness is for CRTs only. Brightness on an LCD typically means the amount of light the backlight puts out which is more like contrast on a CRT - crazy!

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list