Eye-One Display vs Eye-One Pro for monitor profiling

Both the GMB Eye-1 Display 2 colorimeter and the Eye-1 Pro spectro (from I-1 Photo) can be used with Eye-1 Match to do monitor profiling, but is there anything to choose between them?

The spectro ought to be able to obtain more data, but does this make any difference in practice?

If I have both instruments, is there any reason to keep the Display? Is there anything it does better?

At 8:24 AM -0800 1/4/05, Nick Sloan wrote:

Both the GMB Eye-1 Display 2 colorimeter and the Eye-1 Pro spectro (from I-1 Photo) can be used with Eye-1 Match to do monitor profiling, but is there anything to choose between them?

The spectro ought to be able to obtain more data, but does this make any difference in practice?

If I have both instruments, is there any reason to keep the Display? Is there anything it does better?

A good question and one that is raging a bit on the ColorSync users list right now.

We have found that, in practice, it is very difficult to tell the difference between using the Display vs the Eye-One Pro. I can’t remember if there is a difference in speed or not.

Overall I feel that spectros are better at reading anything because they take the most samples and then the human eye response information can be applied in math (which is stable yet upgradable if required) vs filters (which are possibly prone to aging and are fixed)

So I’d hold onto the Pro and use the Display elsewhere or pass it on.

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

Hello Color-Thinkers,

I have limited experience with EyeOne Display 2 (it’s so new!) so my opinions are based on the EyeOne Display “1”!

What I found, is that, with monitors that are very bad, (like green or magenta cast in the shadows), the EyeOne Display (colorimeter) does a poor job correcting the deviation while the EyeOne Pro (spectrophotometer) does a much more precise calibration. In the case of an acceptable monitor, both instruments are very good and produce almost the same results. We have to see how the new EyeOne Display 2 does, because shadow accuracy is one of the improvements.

Xavier

I have both the i1 Pro and i1 Display …thanks to the Chromix by 1 get the other deal :wink:… and have used both on Eizo and Apple displays. The results are damn near identical to the average user (me) and you’d be hard pressed to see a difference. Occasionally I’ll profile my monitor with the Pro, but I mainly use the i1 display and keep it right on top of my monitor hood so I never have to look for it.

mike

At 6:27 PM -0800 1/4/05, Michael Eddington wrote:

I have both the i1 Pro and i1 Display …thanks to the Chromix by 1 get the other deal :wink:… and have used both on Eizo and Apple displays. The results are damn near identical to the average user (me) and you’d be hard pressed to see a difference. Occasionally I’ll profile my monitor with the Pro, but I mainly use the i1 display and keep it right on top of my monitor hood so I never have to look for it.

yeah, that’s a good reason to keep the Display around. Having it at the ready while the Pro is somewhere safe is a good idea

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list