G7, newsprint and GCR

I’m looking for information regarding applying G7 calibration to a newspaper press and was wondering if I needed to somehow apply GCR ink limits (240%) we use to the P2P25 test target. TAC is a problem for printing on newsprint and the company is looking for ways to improve print quality of images on press.
If someone has used G7 with newsprint I would like to pick your brain on how you went about the process.
Ink saver is the way I’m pushing for as a long term solution for solving the TAC problem but for right now we will use a ICC profile (device link profile)applied to our Apogee work flow.
Thanks in advance

If you’re referring to editing the TAC of the P2P image itself, this likely wouldn’t be a good idea. For accurate curve calculation, the values in the P2P target, or any color management target need to be known. Change the values in the targets and any calculation based on that target is rendered inaccurate.

Applying ink reduction to incoming files however would obviously be applicable to newsprint. How does “ink saver” apply ink reduction if not through icc device links?

-----Original Message-----
To: PressProfilingForum@colorforums.com PressProfilingForum@colorforums.com
Sent: Thu Dec 25 07:35:05 2008
Subject: G7, newsprint and GCR

I’m looking for information regarding applying G7 calibration to a newspaper press and was wondering if I needed to somehow apply GCR ink limits (240%) we use to the P2P25 test target. TAC is a problem for printing on newsprint and the company is looking for ways to improve print quality of images on press.
If someone has used G7 with newsprint I would like to pick your brain on how you went about the process.
Ink saver is the way I’m pushing for as a long term solution for solving the TAC problem but for right now we will use a ICC profile (device link profile)applied to our Apogee work flow.
Thanks in advance

Post generated from email list

Ink saver is a Agfa rip add-on that performs the work at the raster stage after profiles. It’s a super-duper GCR/UCR (read $$$$) tool.

Would this not being using profiles to ensure that black substitution is not compromising colorimetric aims?

-----Original Message-----
To: PressProfilingForum@colorforums.com PressProfilingForum@colorforums.com
Sent: Mon Dec 29 12:07:06 2008
Subject: RE: G7, newsprint and GCR

Ink saver is a Agfa rip add-on that performs the work at the raster stage after profiles. It’s a super-duper GCR/UCR (read $$$$) tool.

Post generated from email list

It is possible to use standard newsprint profile to create device link profile for ink savings, and then set the G7 Curves to your RIP or directly into the devicelink profile.

Louis