Gamma test image lines are not smooth on samsung monitor

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help me problem solve this issue I’m having with my monitor.

I have a dual monitor seteup. Both are samsung monitors. One is the TA550 ( 23 inches) and the other is a SA550 ( 27 inch monitor.) Both were bought in 2011, the bigger one in april and the smaller one in november.

I’m having some issues with the TA550(23 inch ) monitor. Specifically looking at Gamma calibration images such as :

dl.dropbox.com/u/3408266/2.20%2 … ration.png

I’m sure many of you have seen these kinds of images. The Issue I’m having with the smaller monitor is that these kinds of images don’t display properly. All those lines DO NOT DISPLAY smooth at all. They look fine on my 27 inch monitor but when i display it on the 23 inch monitor it doesnt look right at all.

It’s hard to explain So I took pictures of my 2 monitors. I appologize for the quality. I hope its enough to show the difference of what im talking about

dl.dropbox.com/u/3408266/a.jpg
dl.dropbox.com/u/3408266/b.jpg

Notice how harsh the lines are in a.jpg???

Since my 27 inch monitor does not have this issue. I was wondering if this was somekind of hardware monitor problem??? What I’ve tried so far is play around with screen resolution, video card scaling options, monitor settings ECT… None of which corrects this problem.

As a note, The monitor works just fine other wise. I wouldnt have notice there was any problems until i tried to do a monitor calibration and when i was asked to to adjust the gamma so it matches image shown on screen, I’ve notice that i couldn’t match it and that my monitor was having some issues displaying the Gamma test images.

Any Input on this paticular issue would be appreciated! Knowing the monitor can display those images/patterns properly has me concerned.

What I’m seeing in your links is a moire pattern. This would not be too surprising given the extremely fine lines in that test image. My first guess is that you may be running the 13 inch at a different resolution than its native resolution. I see online that the TA 550 has a native resolution of 1,9201,080. Have you tried that setting? Other than that, is there some kind of scaling that your display is doing, something like stretch to fit, etc…? Somewhere in the labyrinth of menu choices under those buttons in the front of the display should be a “factory reset” option. This would be a good time to hit that and see what it does.

BTW that’s a pretty cool test pattern! It could even be used as an “angle of view” test pattern as it will change dramatically depending on the angle of view with cheaper displays. I’m going to add that to my collection!

Hi there Patrick ,

THanks for the reply!

I think the moire pattern is exaggerated in the pictures because im taking a picture of the screen and what you see is a screen moire pattern on top of the actual problems That I’m having. BUt the problem im having could probably be best described as a moire just. What I see on my 27 inch is NO moire at all. The lines are smooth! BUt on the 23 inch its a bit of a odd mess. some lines darker, some thicker , some thinner , some look like there’s more space. It does create a kinda odd line pattern. Which is not right at all.

And yes I am running the screen at its native setting of 1920x1080. And I have played around with the scale/stretch on the video card setting. Theres just no way to get rid of it =(. I’ve done the factory reset on the monitor as well as on the video card.

I’m really not sure what to do. Maybe the monitor performs this way? Maybe its a hardware issue? OR I’m missing somekind of option somewhere.

I was planning to buy a Spyder 4 Elite to calibrate my monitors soon. Was hoping to have this resolved by then!

YEah , its a neat little jpg I found online somewhere! =).

IF anyone else has any Ideas. I’d love to read about it!

What kind of video card are you using? I have this effect on large monitors when I use a USB video “card” on computers with only one monitor output. Obviously we don’t use those devices for color critical work, just for palettes and whatnot, but they do not handle gradients well and can produce patterns occasionally.