Gamut Comparisons

When comparing profiles Im wondering how much variation I should expect to see in the height of the white point and the depth of the black point. When I overlay my laptop profile with my Lacie CRT, the Lacie clearly has a larger gamut. However, the black point seems to be as deep on both profiles, when the Lacie clearly displays a richer black than the laptop.

Thanks

David Harradine

At 6:50 AM -0700 5/5/05, Dave wrote:

When comparing profiles Im wondering how much variation I should expect to see in the height of the white point and the depth of the black point. When I overlay my laptop profile with my Lacie CRT, the Lacie clearly has a larger gamut. However, the black point seems to be as deep on both profiles, when the Lacie clearly displays a richer black than the laptop.

ah, the strangeness of monitor profiles…

most monitor profiles are matrix profiles and do not have a record of the black point measured. As a result the system thinks they all have 0,0,0 as a black point and converts as such. In most cases this is OK (for color conversions) but it doesn’t help with graphing or gamut estimation. Some profiling tools allow the creation of 3D LUTs and include a bkpt tag which helps define the display better. I can’t remember which ones off the top of my head but I think Optix Pro and ColorEyes/BasICColor…

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list