generic colour profile

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to get my adobe suite setup with a good general press profile.

currently i’m using my custom “Coated GCR Light” based on SWAP coated inks, but with a total ink limit of 250% and UCA of 10%.

is there a “general” colour profile to work to for printing as i work freelance and hand the files to the client at the end of the job. it needs to be as generic as possible and very few if any, tweaks i receive from the printer IF needed.

from seeing some files sent to some printers in Ireland & the UK, it seems they use FOGRA27 as a standard (can any UK members here clear this up for me?)

whats a good starting base? and any more specific details for CMYK prepress.

thanks!

My Adobe Suite setup uses -

RGB - Adobe RGB (1998)
CMYK - ISO Coated v2 (ECI)

That’s pretty much the standard we and most of our suppliers are aiming towards these days. The above CMYK profile is based on the FOGRA 39L data set.Hope that helps! I’m assuming you are based in Europe…

On 5 Dec 2008, at 14:05, MilkShake wrote:

Hi Guys,

I’m trying to get my adobe suite setup with a good general press profile.

currently i’m using my custom “Coated GCR Light” based on SWAP coated inks, but with a total ink limit of 250% and UCA of 10%.

is there a “general” colour profile to work to for printing as i work freelance and hand the files to the client at the end of the job. it needs to be as generic as possible and very few if any, tweaks i receive from the printer IF needed.

from seeing some files sent to some printers in Ireland & the UK, it seems they use FOGRA27 as a standard (can any UK members here clear this up for me?)

whats a good starting base? and any more specific details for CMYK prepress.

thanks!

thanks K2RUM, yes based in ireland.

its hard to find info on somethings like this as im starting to learn prepress remotely.

what about the total ink limit?

I’ve checked through some forums…seems a lot of people are using the fogra standard, either 27 or 39 like yourself. is there a big difference in the two?

also is there any tool (pc based) that can give general details on the various icc profiles when loaded? like the total ink density, max black, etc? (or would that info even be in there?)

I’m pretty sure there is a 330% TIL in 39L. The Fogra 39L standard is the successor to 27L, which AFAIK was based on ‘perfect’ printing conditions where as 39L represents a standard more suited to day-to-day offset printing practice.

As far as your software I can’t help as I’m mac based. But if you open a photoshop file converted to any particular profile, youshouldbe able to check the things you mention that way.

On 6 Dec 2008, at 03:41, MilkShake wrote:

thanks K2RUM, yes based in ireland.

its hard to find info on somethings like this as im starting to learn prepress remotely.

what about the total ink limit?

I’ve checked through some forums…seems a lot of people are using the fogra standard, either 27 or 39 like yourself. is there a big difference in the two?

also is there any tool (pc based) that can give general details on the various icc profiles when loaded? like the total ink density, max black, etc? (or would that info even be in there?)