Hard proofing an Indigo

Well it looks like we need more topics in the press forums so here’s a new one:

We’re an online photography services company and we’re starting to get into sending images to an outside print shop that is using an Indigo 3000. Does anyone have any recommendation for printers we should buy in order to make good hard-proofs in house? I assume we would have to have an inkjet that would be capable of putting out at least as big a gamut as the Indigo (or something close).

I poked around in the printer drivers of some of the inkjets we already have in the office, and pulled their generic profiles into ColorThink. (See? There IS something good you can use generic profiles for.) If these generic profiles are indicative of what the printer is capable of producing then it seems plenty of them could match the Indigo but only for glossy paper. How do we hard-proof on flat paper?

At 12:18 PM -0800 3/15/05, Patrick Herold wrote:

Well it looks like we need more topics in the press forums so here’s a new one:

We’re an online photography services company and we’re starting to get into sending images to an outside print shop that is using an Indigo 3000. Does anyone have any recommendation for printers we should buy in order to make good hard-proofs in house? I assume we would have to have an inkjet that would be capable of putting out at least as big a gamut as the Indigo (or something close).

I poked around in the printer drivers of some of the inkjets we already have in the office, and pulled their generic profiles into ColorThink. (See? There IS something good you can use generic profiles for.) If these generic profiles are indicative of what the printer is capable of producing then it seems plenty of them could match the Indigo but only for glossy paper. How do we hard-proof on flat paper?

Yes! I agree about that use of generics. It’s about the only reasonably reliable one…

anyway, gamut is the first thing I would check, yes. Then I would look at appearance. Paper and also colorant. How the Indigo 3000 ink lays on the page relative to inkjet ink might make a difference.

Viewing conditions play a huge roll here (as they often seem to do)

As for proofing on non-gloss paper, you should continue looking around. There are matte papers that can rival gloss. The ink used can play a big roll here too. Pigments are stable but dyes still have a gamut advantage…

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list