Help for Print with Preview

I’m new to color management, so please understand why I don’t know the answer to this question.

I have calibrated and created a profile for my Eizo CE240. I used the software (ColorNavigator CE) that came with my monitor and the Eye-One Display 2 colorimeter.

When I start to print on my Epson 2400, under Print with Preview in Windows, the Print under Color Management has as a default: “Document (Profile Adobe RGB(1998).” Should the Document refer to the profile I have created for the monitor?

In Windows I can go to Edit, Assign Profile and change from the default setting (Working RGB) to Profile and find my monitor profile in the drop-down menu. If I do that, then I go back to Print with Preview the Document profile is the profile for my monitor.

So, my question is, do I need to assign the monitor profile each time I want to print?

Thanks for your help.

Nope. Your monitor profile should not be used as the document profile, or your default RGB working space. If you RGB file is originally tagged with Adobe RGB, than that is the correct profile to use. Your monitor profile is “behind the curtain” color management as far as Photoshop is concerned. Files displayed in Photoshop will be rendered through your monitor profile automatically, so again, don’t choose you monitor profile as the default RGB working space or assign it to any files.

Thanks for the information.

I am trying anything I can think of to get my prints to more closely resemble the image I see on the monitor. I thought the document profile might be the problem, but apparently it isn’t.

I am in the process of having a custom profile created for my printer and favorite paper. I hope that will help.

Thanks again.

Concerning the broad subject of getting a monitor and printer to match, CHROMiX had an article in one of our newsletters a couple of months back that gave an overview of that whole topic.

I have passed this link onto lots of customers who have called us for tech support, and they have found this very helpful and readable:

colorwiki.com/wiki/Printer_t … _my_Screen