Hoods for LCD monitors?

For ages now, any self-respecting critical color CRT ships with a hood to reduce screen glare.

However, I have yet to see a LCD monitor equipped with one from the factory. Now that more color critical work is being performed using LCDs, should they get hooded too? Or is this not necessary any more?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Eizo’s have hoods (as an option). I think its much less likely to get a glare on the screen with an LCD than with a CRT, but I would still recommend one…don’t know why Apple doesn’t offer them for their Cinema displays.

Thanks for the lead. Their products look interesting and I’ll keep them in mind for future purchases. I noticed their spec for contrast ratio is 400:1 (ColorEdge CG220); whereas a lot of other LCDs advertise 600:1–what is the likely difference in appearance?

Do you have experience with these monitors, how are they in terms of price/performance?

Not many people will be able to afford the CG220 from what I’ve heard (something like $6,669.93 :open_mouth: ). Is this out on the market yet?

I’m told the higher contrast ratio the better, but I think there’s a lot more to a decent monitor than a high contrast ratio. The Eiso has a lot of advantages over most LCD monitors…less banding, 10 bit system, and all that stuff. There definitely more expensive ($2659 for the CG21 without hood or spectro/colorimeter). I definitely like it better than the Apple Cinema display, but I can’t say it’s completely worth the extra bread…depends on how critical you are. I still sometimes revert back to my Sony Artisan for things I’m unsure about as I trust it the most.

Hello. I have a Viewsonics VP211b LCD that did not come with a hood. I send a photo of the new Lacie LCD (with hood) to Erogomart at ergomart.com/monitor_hood_vi … r_hood.htm
and they made a custom one for me that works great. They can make a hood for anything!

At 3:34 PM -0800 2/17/05, Michael Eddington wrote:

[quote:df1325aeb2]
I noticed their spec for contrast ratio is 400:1 (ColorEdge CG220); whereas a lot of other LCDs advertise 600:1–what is the likely difference in appearance?
[/quote:df1325aeb2]

Not many people will be able to afford the CG220 from what I’ve heard (something like $6,669.93 :open_mouth: ). Is this out on the market yet?

it is now, just barely. We’ve sold it but I have yet to really put one through its paces… very interesting though… i’ll let you know if I hear interesting feedback on it…

Regards,

Steve

Post generated from email list

You can make one for less the $5. Buy some black foam board and cut it to size. I made one for each of LCD monitors.