How does resolution affect profiles or does it?

Just finished profiling our Epson 7800, driven by AWS Nexus rip using their proprietary CM. During the linearization and profiling process I found it necessary to use what is known as a “Micro” dot setting (2880x1440) with the microweave set for Pass 4. Reason for this is that when the dot setting was set for “default” (1440x720) with the same Pass 4 for the microweave I couldn’t get enough black density to build my linearization curve. So by switching to the higher res, I was able to get a good black to start from.

I then went ahead and got the proofer nice and linear and then ran my targets and got a good profile that it’s output matched the Epson 9600 that we are phasing out extremely well. However running proofs today that had some larger solid areas, there is a some nasty horizontal banding that showed up. Went thru full head alignment, power cleans, regular cleans etc and even switched paper to Epson Photo etc. with no effect.

So I changed the settings to Default on the output (1440x720) and it was instantly gone. However since I did all my profiling at (2880x1440)
and since I couldn’t achieve a good black at the lower res in cal mode; I was concerned that color would be way off. But it was actually spot on minus the banding. I ran several images at the differing resolutions and all looked good even the blacks. So does resolution really affect profiles?

sorry to be soo long, but just a strange situation.

thanks,
Dub

thanks,
Dub