How to Make an accurate profile for inkjet/solvent printers?

Patrick,

Thanks for the quick response! One of the reasons I do leave the ink limit on 600% when printing my patches is because I change the print mode during patch printing to uni-directional, media/printer width (instead of data width) and add a 3 second drying time delay.

I’ve been doing this since I watched a training video from Colorburst/Epson employee Roy Bohnen (who I’ve heard referred to as “The Godfather of Color”). In his presentation he explains that while you would never run a printer at 600% ink limit in a production environment, if you choke your ink limit down in your patch printing, you will reduce the color gamut possible because the ability to reach some patch colors/builds will be reduced. So you want to build your profile with as much accuracy as possible and choke the ink limit down after the patches are printed to ensure the largest gamut ICC profile but also reduce over inking on your production prints.

Just a thought, I’ve tried both ways and feel I get a larger gamut by choking the ink after the profile patches have been scanned.

Also, I noticed you replied to the post on: Ink limiting, linearizing, total ink limit [one.imports.literateforums.com/t/ink-limiting-linearizing-total-ink-limit/929/1), where another contributor asks about scanning densities instead of using a visual inspection. Could you use an I1 as a densitometer and scan to find where the optimal ink limit is per channel by comparing densities and finding where the highest reading is before it starts to go back down? I use a chart that as 0-100% ink patches in single percent increments so I feel that if I do this I can really dial in on my individual channel ink limits.

Could I also do this for my 0-600% ink limit (total ink limit) by scanning the density (with this I use a 10% increment).

thanks!

Matthew