iShare pallette behavior

I am new to the i1 system so bear with me. When I sample a spot color, example 43.1,35.9,5.5 in iShare, then move the pallette to Photoshop 7, I get a shift in values. The LAB value indicated on the pallette is correct but when I drag it into a new LAB file, the values convert to 45,39,8. Even allowing for rounding to the nearest integer, it still isn’t right. I can manually enter the rounded LAB values into the PS color picker and get it right. Is Photoshop or iSHare doing some kind of conversion with the pallette that I don’t understand? Thanks,

Gary

At 5:05 AM -0800 1/31/05, Gary_Hummel wrote:

I am new to the i1 system so bear with me. When I sample a spot color, example 43.1,35.9,5.5 in iShare, then move the pallette to Photoshop 7, I get a shift in values. The LAB value indicated on the pallette is correct but when I drag it into a new LAB file, the values convert to 45,39,8. Even allowing for rounding to the nearest integer, it still isn’t right. I can manually enter the rounded LAB values into the PS color picker and get it right. Is Photoshop or iSHare doing some kind of conversion with the pallette that I don’t understand? Thanks,

I think it is and I have troubles understanding it too…

Mainly I’m not certain that you can do such things with Lab colors. You may need to convert them to RGB values for better behavior?.. I’m really not sure about this though…

Regards,

Steve

Post generated from email list

When I drag an i1Share swatch into a Photoshop document, I get the same results…shifted values. But when I export Lab values from i1 Share as a Photoshop pallette, then import the swatches into Photoshop, the values are accurate (other than rounding to the nearest integer).

mike

At 5:21 AM -0800 3/21/05, Michael Eddington wrote:

When I drag an i1Share swatch into a Photoshop document, I get the same results…shifted values. But when I export Lab values from i1 Share as a Photoshop pallette, then import the swatches into Photoshop, the values are accurate (other than rounding to the nearest integer).

that smells like a bug… interesting…

If you drag it perhaps it’s dragging as device data that gets converted?

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

When you export the palette, are you saving it in the same working space as the image that you have open in Photoshop?

The change is probably the difference in color space or the conversion to a different size gamut.