La Cie 720, Eizo cg222, Nec 24 or 26

Hello,

I have been researching which monitor to purchase and have narrowed it down to these. I work in a Windows environment (although there is a possibility of moving to Apple, I am aware of the Spectraview issues with Mini Display Port). I use a Monico X-Rite for calibration and will be replacing a Trinitron CRT.

The cg222 has been recomended for its accuracy and longevity. The La cie 720 offers a larger gamut, and I am trying to undersrtand if the increased gamut also maintains consistency of color across applications and system if profiles are managed properly. I have found many of the posts very helpful here on Color Forums, but I am still unsure of why one of these monitors might be the best.

The cg222 seems to have a low brightness spec of ~200nit, although in my discussions with people most have felt this is adequate and not an issue. I am also curious who makes the panels used in these models, ie. is the La Cie 720 the same as the Samsung XL? and if so how much of difference in performance can actually be achieved between brands. Why would a Dell, Samsung, or LG not be as good as one of these if they are using the same panel for example.

These monitors present specs with 12 and 14 LUT’s but I assume are 8 bit panels (I hope none are 6bit) and 16 bit processing. I am still trying to get a handle on how this all adds up, ie. 12 or 16 bit processing 14 bit LUT and ouputting on an 8 bit panel.

I’ll start with this and look forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks…

In comment to 3rd paragraph…

I have been told by reliable sources that the panels for LaCie 700 series and for the Eizo CG222W are both from Samsung. I do not believe these are the same panels though.Even if these models used the same panel, they are very different products.

Much more goes into a monitor than just the panel. First, the monitor manufacturers panel selection criteria is important. Second, the grade and quality of the other components that go into the monitor are just as important. Thirdly, how well a monitor is designed, integrated and manufactured is important. Fourthly, QA manufacturing, tolerance testing, support etc. also plays an important factor indetermininga quality monitor product.

The monitor quality(accuracy, stability, consistency, longevity)is a more direct result of the above choices made by the manufacturer and not just the type of panel. Thats also why specification figures don’t tell the complete story.

I know this does not answer a question, but simply may add perspective.

Rick Hatmaker

X bit labs has this very good article related to my question so I wanted to include the link here for people to reference. The Samsung XL is supposedly the same screen used in the La Cie 7 series. This article speaks to the issues and differences that exist between these types of monitors.

xbitlabs.com/articles/monito … -xl30.html

That article does a good job of pointing out the color variation issues with LED-backlit displays. I would concur with the article’s conclusion that if color accuracy is most important, the LED’s are not the best option. LED’s tend to get hot, and that heat will tend to cause things to change color, and finding a way to deal with that heat is a puzzle for the manufacturers of these displays. I know our Eizo rep said the last time he was in town, that Eizo hasn’t come out with an LED display yet because they are still working on how to “do it right.”

If it’s a choice between the Eizo 222 and the LaCie 720, then I guess you would go for the LaCie if you expect to deal with images that will get that saturated. (If you do portrait photography for example, you would not need this display.) If accuracy is your emphasis, go for the Eizo. Since you are used to an Artisan, either of these displays will knock your socks off!