LACIE 324 Can not be calibrated (extreem green shift)

Hello everyone:

I am not a stranger to color. For many years I have been working as technical manager in a institute.

Currently because of the dislike of new Apple Cinema Display 24LED we have decided to switch to Lacie 324. We got one monitor for test and it seems that whenever the black color in a image approaches shadows we have an extreme shift toward green. I am talking an emerald green color. While mine underpowered Cintiq 12inch displays black and white images correctly.

This is mine second Lacie 324, the first one had shift toward green on the left side while having a magenta shift on the right.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, can any one share their settings for calibration, monitor…

From your description, this sounds exactly like a poorly-made monitor profile is being used.

Are you calibrating the monitor with an instrument? Are you using the LaCie Blue Eye Pro software or something else? Have you tried calibrating a second time?

Yp I am using their software. I have both Spyder and Eye One Photo.

I am using LUT method of color callibration. Adaptation set to “NONE”

Blackpoint = 0
Gamma 2.2
Temp = 6500K

What I am noticing now is that right side of the screen is picking up the magenta, while left side of the screen picks up green. This would explain why mine callibrations are geting green. The exmple of this is the reply screen of this forum. If I position the window on the left side of the display it appears to be normal and when I position it on the right side of the screen it picks up magenta/pinkish hue.

PS Currently my monitor is calibrated on the left side of the screen.

I had an opportunity to do extensive uniformity testing on a LaCie 324 early on. Our test model would wander a bit in it in terms of color consistency from side to side, and from corner to corner around the screen. The average delta E difference between different points on the screen averaged about 2-3 delta E, with the worst points being 6.8 dE (from upper right to lower left). (Delta E is a measure of how far one color is from another. Anything greater than 1.0 is visible with the human eye.) This sounds like a lot of color variation, but in actual use a display with these numbers will generally look pretty uniform, although you would be able to detect some color shift when viewing a perfectly gray background. These numbers are about average for a display in this class. To get something better, you would want to look at an Eizo CG222W. They pretty much guarantee that uniformity across the screen is less than 3.00 dE.

When you talk about an extreme shift to the green I don’t know how much is extreme for you. If you have the ability to take spot measurements, you could compare the different corners of your display to each other and see how far apart (color-wise) they are.

At any rate, it looks like you would want to profile your display by putting the sensor in the middle of the screen. There’s not really anything else that can be done to compensate for a screen with bad uniformity. If you got this model for testing, can you return it?

Thank you for such “illuminating” response :slight_smile:. Well the story with the monitor is as folows. The deep shadows of the screen is what is being affected. Thus black and white images with deep shadows look like a dutone photograph. The best way to describe them would be the oxidized coper tinted image.

The funny thing is that my previous work used Eizo CE240W, and that monitor is similar in specs to Lacie 324 and uses most probably the same S-PVA display panel, but has good color fidelity

Yes the monitor is under a moneyback and I will return it.

I am considering getting NEC 2690WUIX2/Lacie 526 or Eizo CG222. Do you have any input regarding the NEC display?

I have tested the NEC LCD2490WUXi, which is in the same family, but not really the same monitor. (The 2490 has an sRGB gamut, while the 2690 gets close to the AdobeRGB gamut.) But with our 2490, the uniformity was in the same ballpark as the LaCie. The worst dE between points was 4.9 - and there was some visible unevenness around the screen.

I have a review of the Eizo 222 on ColorWiki:
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Eizo_CG222W_Review