Lens Tint Spectroscopy

I am an Optometrist and researcher working on a scientific poster on the efficacy of tinted lenses to block harmful blue light. There are a few yellow and amber tinted lenses on the market that advertise that they block the required part of the blue spectrum such as “Blue Tec”. To select the best lenses for our study we need to analyze their ability to block blue light in 10 nm increments across the UV and visible spectrum. One option is to buy, learn how to use and and calibrate a spectrometer. A better way is to find an expert that already has mastered this equipment, who can generate these transmission curves for us. Let me know if anyone in this forum can help with this project. We would be glad to pay a fee for each lens analyzed. If I am in the wrong forum and redirection would be appreciated.

Donald,

What is the thickness of your lens samples? If sufficiently thin slices can give good data, there are a number of readily available measurement tools.

Hi Ethan,

They are 2-3 mm thick approximately 70 mm in diameter. I am looking for a graph similar to the transmission data information you can get from gels like this one from Rosco:

rosco.com/filters/SED.cfm?titleName=E008: Dark Salmon&imageName=…/images/filters/ecolourplus/008.jpg

That link failed will try this one;

rosco.com/filters/ecolour.cfm?DisplayType=36

Donald,

Sorry for making this a game of 20 questions, but I’m typing under the influence of a nasty cold.

Are the samples flat or curved? If these are chunks of sunglass lens, the curvature could well interfere with direct measurement. If there is a relatively flat portion of the glass we can probably help you out with the measurements.

The thickness of the glass places constraints on what we can use to measure them accurately. My primary concern is that we would only be able to measure down to 380nm, which won’t cover the full UV transmission range of normal glass.

If this sounds useful send me an email and we can try measuring a sample for you.