MonacoPROFILER and illuminants

Currently I use a Pulse spectrophotometer and ColorElite to produce my output profiles. I also have an i1 with GMB ProfileMaker 5, but I like the MonacoPROFILER profiles a bit better for some reason. I recently acquired a DTP70 (dead) and MonacoPROFILER 4.7.2 (MP). While I plan to fix the DTP-70 (lamp only, I hope), I’d like to start using MonacoPROFILER ASAP to utilize some of the larger targets and additional editing features, but I can’t figure out how to produce profiles for multiple illuminants. I assume MP’s default illuminant is D50, but is that all that’s offered? GMB ProfileMaker offers more than a dozen illuminant choices, and ColorElite offers four: D50, D65, A, & F2.

To digress for a minute, I know 4.7.2 does not support the DTP20 (Pulse) directly, but I’ve been using ColorPort to produce ‘session’ files for import by MP. Regardless of the few posts I’ve seen that suggest MonacoProfiler can import CGATS, tab delimited, and CSV files, I have yet been able to figure out how to do this. However, what I have noticed is exporting/saving ColorPort data in tab delimited or CSV format is the only way to indicate the illuminant tag or data desired. The only ColorPort export format I have been able to load into MP is via the ‘MonacoPROFILER 4.8 Session’ option which does not affer any illuminant options. This brings up another question. Even though ColorPort calls it a ‘MonacoPROFILER 4.8 Session’ file, I have been able to load it into MP 4.7.2 without producing an error. Does this suggest it’s good data? It does produce a profile that is similar to those produced by ColorElite and the DTP20.

I have also downloaded the MP 4.8 trial version hoping there would be the ability to import tab delimited and/or CSV files, but no luck. It does support the DTP20 (Pulse) directly, but even that does not end up offering an illuminant option. Perhaps this is offered when the profile is produced as with ColorElite, but the trial version does not go that far.

I hope I’ve provided enough information above that someone might be able to help me with the following questions, some of which have already been posed above:

Does MP 4.7.2 or 4.8 have the ability to produce profiles with multiple illuminant values, and if so, how is this accomplished?

Is there a way to get MP to load and utilize tab delimited or CSV data files, and if so would the illuminant tag/data be utilized?

Is there a way to edit a MP session file to add an illuminant value via a tag, etc that will be recognized/utilized?

Assuming none of the above are possible and MP produces plain vanilla D50 profiles only, is there a utility available that can massage MP session files to skew the spectrial data to a selected illuminant value prior to producing a profile in MP?

Last, but not least, are there equations available to perform such illuminant conversions from Lab spectrial data so that someone such as myself might create an application to do this.

I sent an email earlier today, and it still hasn’t posted, so here it is:

As far as I can tell, Monaco does not support spectral data. My version crashes if I even browse a folder containing a spectral measurement file.

Since you have ProfileMaker, you can open your spectral measurement file in Measuretool, click on the Additional information button, and change the illuminant to one of the built in standard illuminants, or load a custom illuminant, then export Lab. I have some measurement files that included the reference device values import successfully, but have occasionally have to strip out the header and device values, leaving only three columns of lab data, saved in tab delimited text format.

Hope this helps.

Bret

On 5/16/09 9:19 PM, “ardfarkle” ColorForums@d30.info wrote:

Assuming none of the above are possible and MP produces plain vanilla D50 profiles only, is there a utility available that can massage MP session files to skew the spectrial data to a selected illuminant value prior to producing a profile in MP?

Last, but not least, are there equations available to perform such illuminant conversions from Lab spectrial data so that someone such as myself might create an application to do this.

As far as I can tell, Monaco does not support spectral data. My version crashes if I even browse a folder containing a spectral measurement file.

Since you have ProfileMaker, you can open your spectral measurement file in Measuretool, click on the “Additional information” button, and change the illuminant to one of the built in standard illuminants, or load a custom illuminant, then export Lab. I have have some measurement files that included the reference device values import successfully, but have occasionally have to strip out the header and device values, leaving only three columns of lab data, saved in tab delimited text format.

Hope this helps.

Bret

On 5/16/09 9:19 PM, “ardfarkle” ColorForums@d30.info wrote:

Post generated from email list