New Monaco OptixXR system...weird colors, no whites (?)

Hello,

I just installed my Monaco optix XR calibration system on my destop PC and find the my LCD is dark and the colors look grey. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any ‘true’ whites. I followed the instructions exactly and don’t understand the problem. I also installed the system on my laptop and don’t know if I did it correctly. I am only able to adjust the brightness- no contrast or color temp adjustment controls (?) Please let me know if you have any advice. I am a press photographer and must have my images sharp and ‘truly’ color-corrected- my commissions depend on it!

Thanks,

John M

John,

Assuming your LCD isn’t faulty it should be possible to solve your problem. Don’t give up yet!

If you use Photoshop, make sure you have removed Adobe Gamma from Start-up. Adobe Gamma may conflict with Monaco Gamma. In my experience, every time you upgrade Photoshop it installs Adobe Gamma again :frowning:

Have you chosen gamma = 2.2 and colour temperature = 6500K? If not, which values did you chose?

What adjustment controls does your LCD have?

Does the Monaco device sit flush against the screen when you calibrate? If not, it may be affected by stray light from the surroundings. Try tilting the monitor backwards slightly.

Do you allow any warm-up time for your LCD prior to profiling? Try leaving it switched on for 20 minutes before profiling.

Regards,

Alan

Is this LCD suitable for profiling? If your commissions depend on accurate color from your monitor, it should be a monitor capable of reproducing and simulating the print. A $300 LCD from Wal-Mart isn’t going to cut it.

You say “desktop PC”… are you using a Windows machine or a Macintosh?

At 3:14 PM -0700 8/9/05, johnjohnmedina wrote:

Hello,

I just installed my Monaco optix XR calibration system on my destop PC and find the my LCD is dark and the colors look grey. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any ‘true’ whites. I followed the instructions exactly and don’t understand the problem. I also installed the system on my laptop and don’t know if I did it correctly. I am only able to adjust the brightness- no contrast or color temp adjustment controls (?) Please let me know if you have any advice. I am a press photographer and must have my images sharp and ‘truly’ color-corrected- my commissions depend on it!

Alan has some good suggestions. I think the only thing I would add is to try to calibrate to the native white point of the LCD

Any white you choose that is different than native will causing some darkening of the display.

Also - I don’t think that you HAVE to follow their suggestions for brightness. You should choose a brightness that works for you in your ambient conditions.

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list