Novice needs help

I should start off by explaining that color management is completely new to me. So, Im sure most of my questions will seem nieve to many of you.

I have a new Eizo ColorEdge CE240W. I also have a new eye-on display 2 calibrator. For printing, I use Epson glossy inkjet photo paper in my Epson R2400.

My primary concern is that skin tones look great on my monitor, but when I print, the skin tones take on a pale green/tan color.

So far, I have calibrated my monitor and created a profile (Gamma=2.2; Whitness= 6500K; and Luminance=100). The new profile is now the default setting for the monitor. That process seemed pretty straight forward, although I didnt see much difference in an image displayed on the monitor comparing before and after calibration.

Its adjusting Photoshop to take advantage of the new profile that is concerning me. I went to Color Settings and set the RGB Working Space with the name of the profile file I created. Under Color Management Policies, I changed it to read: convert to working RGB.

In my printer setup box, I set it to allow the printer to determine colors.

I would really appreciate some help in solving this.

Thanks, SamSpade

When I tried to print, after the changes outlined in my first post, I got the following error message: The document ___ has an embedded color profile that does not match the current RGB space. Embeded:Adobe RGB(1998); Working: sRGB IEC61966-21.

The “Working” file name is not the file I created when I did the profile process. Does this show that PS is still not using my profile?

Thanks, Sam

Sam,

I think what you described is that:
1 You profiled your monitor and the PC system adopted that as the MONITOR profile.
2 You opened a file in Photoshop (PS version number is relevant here because the actual menu steps and terms used for print setup have changed between V6, CS and CS2).

It seems that the file you opened was one created in the “AdobeRGB (1998)” colour space, but you have set Photoshop default working space to “sRGB”. I do not use sRGB as my “working space”, but use either AdobeRGB(1998) or ProPhotoRGB because they use a different “white point” to sRGB which is probably much better suited to working with images intended for printing.

The colour profile for the monitor is not the same as Photoshop working space.

What you have done is part of the Colour management story, and, unless you can create customised printer profiles, you need to allow Photoshop and your Printer drivers to do the rest using the data they already have.

You will find some instructions for Photoshop 5/6 here which also list what you would do with the printer setup:
computer-darkroom.com/media_ … rint_1.htm

For PhotoshopCS2 the approach is similar and can be found here: computer-darkroom.com/ps9_pr … rint_1.htm which also shows setups for Epson2400 printer.

The profile for your monitor only comes into play for the PC (= Photoshop) to “talk” TO the monitor (and help you see “accurate” and repeatable colours). The path to the printer is completely separate and needs diffrent profiles. The “canned” profiles for the Epson 2400 which the printer driver will use are rated highly by many people and probably work best with Epson papers.

I hope this helps.

Simon

Just a few items to add to Simon’s:

You mentioned attempting to set up your Photoshop RGB working space with your newly-created monitor profile. While this is a common mistake, it’s usually not recommended. You can look up the details on this here:

colorwiki.com/wiki/Color_Man … king_space.

Also, since your ultimate goal is to match your print to what you see on the screen, you might benefit from the following link that has a general overview of the whole process:

colorwiki.com/wiki/Printer_t … _my_Screen