null profile and eye-one

Hi,

1. I have a eye-one photo to write a review on. I hate it! Surely it’s just me… this thing hates reading printed targets. I have to kick it with task manager to get it to work. And it fails 100% using the Fuji software. Doesn’t like ending a read when the button is released. XP USB 1.1

2. I’m trying to track down some software problems. Anyone got a printer profile that does nothing? And one that really stuff up an image. It’s to do comparision between no profile and profile loaded.

If you can help with the profiles email me directly.

Yani

just to reply to myself…

I’ve got around the Gretag issue by loging in as a different user… I still don’t like the device much for print profiles. Great for screen.

And I’ve made a muckitup profile… I’d still like to get hold of a pass through profile that has nill effect. Not sure I can make that accurately with the tools I have here,

Yani

At 4:39 AM -0700 5/3/05, Yani wrote:

just to reply to myself…

I’ve got around the Gretag issue by loging in as a different user… I still don’t like the device much for print profiles. Great for screen.

interesting… it can take a bit of work to get used to but typically it settles down. Power is a big thing. If you are not running it from a good card (not motherboard power in some cases) or a powered hub then you can get this type of problem…

And I’ve made a muckitup profile… I’d still like to get hold of a pass through profile that has nill effect. Not sure I can make that accurately with the tools I have here,

there is actually no such thing. We get asked about this a fair amount. Profiles convert from device to Lab and back. That means you don’t go device->device and so can’t get a null profile. You can make them using device link profiles but very few things accept device links (photoshop and print drivers don’t)

you should be able to just turn off color management in your print path and then it shouldn’t be an issue but this isn’t always possible… what is your print path?

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

Nice to see ya face Steve… LOL

Yea I sorted it all. I did have to establish a new user account to get the eye-one to work. I have no idea what was loading that was at issue. I could do a screen cal no problems but it didn’t like a read where you move the device down the ruler. Too much information flow I guess.

The other issue I had and it’s one to note, is that with Corel and I’d guess ID as well, even with a perfect profile if you don’t go into the printer driver software (in my case Epson) and turn off the “automatic” setting graphic and images will never match… set this to photo-realistic. Assuming that you are loading a profile somewhere other than the printer driver which in the case of Corel is CCM.

Yx

At 7:43 AM -0700 5/5/05, Yani wrote:

Nice to see ya face Steve… LOL

Yea I sorted it all. I did have to establish a new user account to get the eye-one to work. I have no idea what was loading that was at issue. I could do a screen cal no problems but it didn’t like a read where you move the device down the ruler. Too much information flow I guess.

interesting, I’ll have to remember that one…

The other issue I had and it’s one to note, is that with Corel and I’d guess ID as well, even with a perfect profile if you don’t go into the printer driver software (in my case Epson) and turn off the “automatic” setting graphic and images will never match… set this to photo-realistic. Assuming that you are loading a profile somewhere other than the printer driver which in the case of Corel is CCM.

yeah, having the ability to do color conversions in different places creates lots of confusion and the chance for multiple color conversions… it’s a pain. I seem to recall that Apple was talking with Adobe to try to work out some system where the application could notify the OS & driver than color management had been performed and needn’t be in the driver but I don’t think we’ll see anything like that any time soon. I also don’t know how or if this is to be handled in Longhorn on the Win side…

and so it goes…

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list