Profile conversion from MXN to ICC extension

How can we convert the MXN profile created by GMG Open Color into ICC extension with the help of Color Think Pro, CTP & Patch tool softwares?

(Our ultimate aim is to add that profile in adobe photoshop and use as a CMYK working space.)

Unfortunately GMG’s MXN profiles are a proprietary file format that they do not make public

As a result we’re not able to read their data and convert them to anything else.

I’m not certain if they contain data in a form that could be converted to an ICC profile or not, though I think one of their profile file types is effectively a device link profile, so perhaps there’s a chance there.

You are encouraged to ask GMG to open their file format for certain registered developers to graph (at minimum) and perhaps other tasks as well!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

There are options in Color Think pro (Profile Medic, Profile Manager & inspector). Are these options can’t also be used to convert MXN profiles?

And any software’s you want to suggest to convert MXN into ICC extension except GMG profile editer.

Correct. We have no access to the internals of those profiles (they are not ICC profiles in any way, as far as I know) so we can’t open them, convert to/from them, or anything like that.

Until GMG opens up about the file format, their tools will be the only ones that can open and modify them.

1 Like

This can be done in a few ways. Using GMG photoshop-plugin, You can softproof a testchart image. Save the softproof image(CieLab), and then use Babelcolor Patchtool to extract the Lab-data. Save this data to be used with the corresponding cmyk reference data, and generate an icc-profile in a profiling software.

Another method is to use the GMG icc-export, which is part of the plugin(Find it under automate). This will give You a profile which has only AtoB(Device to PCS) data. Now open a testchart in Colorlogic Colorant, and use the ICC Transformation tool, absolute colorimetric. Save the result as text or cxf, and use for profiling, since there will be both cmyk and CieLab data.
I did some “roundtrip” tests, and the results are good for both methods.