Profile Medic results

Hi Steve,
I’m a new ColorThink user and am just starting to realize the potential of this very well thought out utility/learning tool. My concern is with the returned results from Profile Medic, specifically dealing with ImagePrint’s profiles.
The first error is "Profile Length Problems: (just IP profiles), and the second one is "Non Zero Data…) (IP and input only).
I’m just looking for the nod to go ahead and press repair.

Regards,

Dave

At 1:59 AM -0800 3/1/05, David Good wrote:

Hi Steve,
I’m a new ColorThink user and am just starting to realize the potential of this very well thought out utility/learning tool. My concern is with the returned results from Profile Medic, specifically dealing with ImagePrint’s profiles.
The first error is "Profile Length Problems: (just IP profiles), and the second one is "Non Zero Data…) (IP and input only).
I’m just looking for the nod to go ahead and press repair.

Hi Dave,

Good question. A couple of things:

1. Imageprint profiles don’t seem to be “normal” ICC profiles and they don’t seem to care. I could be wrong about this but we’ve had trouble opening them before and yet their system thinks they’re good. I guess this is OK for them but it is confusing for the rest of us.

2. The length fix shouldn’t cause any harm. It is where the actual file length is supposed to match the number at the beginning of the profile describing the profile length. The fact it is incorrect is the sign of a possible corruption or poorly written profiling software (or editor after the fact)

3. the Non-Zero-Data fix might cause some harm so I would back the profiles up beforehand. The ICC spec states that the 4 bts following the tag signature in a profile are to be left blank. Some profiling apps don’t do this (Monaco is an example) in their proprietary tags and if you zero the bytes out, sometimes the Monaco software isn’t happy with the profile anymore. It’s still an ICC compliant profile (in fact, more-so) but because they didn’t implement 3rd party tags correctly, our “fix” can “break” it in their software.

So, I would say back them up and then give it a try. If you find strange behavior, then send us a copy of the profile so we can take a look.

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

Thank-you for your quick reply Steve. I have just returned from vacation and need to do some catching up, and will go ahead with your recommendations and post back if there are any problems. I was more curious than concerned as I want to understand the changes being made, and you have clarified it more for me.

Regards,

Dave