Profiling an Epson R1800?

A friend has asked for my help in profiling his R1800 which he’s hoping to use for prepress proofing.

I have an eyeOne as well as Monaco Profiler Gold. Given that the 1800 is CMYK + matte black + red & blue as well as having gloss coat, is there anything special which needs to be done?

Is it even possible with just Profiler Gold as opposed to Platinum? Do the extra two colors plus the gloss coat interfere with accurate readings and profile building?

Thanks in advance.

David

Hi David,

I own an R1800, and i profile it as RGB using the standard TC 9.18 target.
You only need to print the targets without Gloss Optimiser.

Monaco Profiler Gold supports RGB and CMYK.
Monaco Platinum supports Hex, and Spot Colors.

I am not sure about this, but i think the application also have to support multicolor profiles, and photoshop doesen’t. So the only option to profile through the stadard Epson Driver is to profile it as RGB device.

Thanks for your reply.

Right now he’s making 4/C PDFs of all his files in an attempt to overcome the lack of RIP problem. However I’m pretty sure that if you send an Epson printer a 4/C file (not through a RIP that is) that the native driver first converts it to RGB and spits back out its “own flavor” of CMYK which negates any original numbers.

Do you know if there are any PostScript RIPs available for the 1800 which would allow it to be profiled as a CMYK device or is my friend just out of luck in terms of using his 1800 for accurate graphic arts proofing purposes?

David

What software is he working with, on what platform?

I’m not sure about the R1800 I’ve only used it on the Mac and it was setup… But I think the above is part of all Epson printers. Failure to set as per the bitmap causes graphics and bitmaps of the same tone to print differently.

Check out the stuff on inkjetmall.com

I’m sure chromix have proofing rips.

Yani

At 8:52 AM -0700 9/3/05, David wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Right now he’s making 4/C PDFs of all his files in an attempt to overcome the lack of RIP problem. However I’m pretty sure that if you send an Epson printer a 4/C file (not through a RIP that is) that the native driver first converts it to RGB and spits back out its “own flavor” of CMYK which negates any original numbers.

Do you know if there are any PostScript RIPs available for the 1800 which would allow it to be profiled as a CMYK device or is my friend just out of luck in terms of using his 1800 for accurate graphic arts proofing purposes?

I don’t think he needs either a RIP or the ability to control he printer with >4 channels.

It is a common misunderstanding that you need either a RIP for multi-channel control or both.

A good profile used within a good application (Adobe publishing app like Photoshop) should do the job just fine.

It’s true that CMYK sent to an RGB-controlled printer undergoes a conversion to RGB but you need some sort of conversion to take place no matter what (the printer is not going to accept press-CMYK well). Getting a good profile and having Photoshop apply the conversion from his document space to the print space is by far the most important part.

make sense?

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list