Profiling Glossy screen

Wondering if anyone has experience with profiling the Macbook Pros’ new glossy LCD backlit screen? Contemplating between matte vs glossy. Initial impressions are that the glossy has a better “appearance” compared to the matte. Anyone with thoughts on this. BTW I have ColorEyes Display Pro. Thanks in advance!

Well, I’ve profiled the glossy screen with the ColorEyes display pro and report that there were no problems. The prints from the i9900 came out better than I expected.

The new LCD screens were also given high marks from Rob Galbraith in a recent review.

robgalbraith.com/bins/conten … -8741-9027

Glossy screens, unlike matte screens, can be affected by ambient light when calibrating so it is a good idea to put a black cloth over the screen or turn off the lights when calibrating.

Personally I find the matte screen more appropriate for soft proofing for printing.

Scott,

I appreciate your experience. When I looked for experience on profiling glossy screens, I could not much info except that “matte is better.” IMHO, the colors and contrast on a glossy are much more appealing to my eye. Thus my question on what other’s experience was regarding profiling and printing from a glossy screen.

Rob Galbraith’s article on the new LCD screens was helpful since he provided some history of why profiling laptop screens were problematic. Granted, he used a matte screen MBP for his tests rather than glossy.

My EIZO is arriving soon, so I wanted to test color accuracy from a laptop glossy screen. I was not disappointed and thought others may find the info helpful – there were 160+ views with no responses to my initial question.

I’ll try the calibration, with the lights off and with a black cloth. My question is does the hardware adjust colors for ambient light? The ColorEyes Display Pro AFAIK does not have an ambient light sensor (or does it)? I appreciate your feedback and posting.

Humbly,
Jon

ColorEyes does not adjust your screen to compensate for ambient light. However, ambient light can tend to bleed in around the sensor when it’s on your screen and mess up the accuracy of the measurements.

You can use CEDPro to take ambient light measurements though - after a fashion. If you’re at the White Point Target window in Hardware Setup, you can choose to “measure with sensor”. Instead of measuring the white patch on the screen, turn it around and measure your ambient light, or point the colorimeter at a “white” paper reflecting the ambient light. The screen will give you readout of the color temperature in Kelvin. Obviously, there is no diffusion filter so it’s a little hard to know what you are actually pointing at, but it might be useful.

Great thread by the way. Thanks for bringing the topic up!