Recipe for HWM profile

I’m printing on an Epson 1280 and having difficulty getting a good profile for Epson HWM paper. I lose detail in the shadow areas, especially browns. I ran Dry Creek’s ink density target to determine best media and DPI settings. It shows that the best ink distribution for HWM paper is Photo RPM (what does that mean anyway beyond the rez of 5760 dpi?) on ColorLife Photo Paper as the media type. I’ve also received advice to print the i1 RGB 1.5 for HWM paper so I’ve done that. I’ve just completed scanning the profile and it doesn’t produce any better results that the canned profile that came with the printer for HWM paper.

I know these are sketchy details, but does anyone see anything radically wrong with the process I’ve described?

At 7:30 AM -0700 10/16/05, Moreair wrote:

I’m printing on an Epson 1280 and having difficulty getting a good profile for Epson HWM paper. I lose detail in the shadow areas, especially browns. I ran Dry Creek’s ink density target to determine best media and DPI settings. It shows that the best ink distribution for HWM paper is Photo RPM (what does that mean anyway beyond the rez of 5760 dpi?) on ColorLife Photo Paper as the media type. I’ve also received advice to print the i1 RGB 1.5 for HWM paper so I’ve done that. I’ve just completed scanning the profile and it doesn’t produce any better results that the canned profile that came with the printer for HWM paper.

I know these are sketchy details, but does anyone see anything radically wrong with the process I’ve described?

The Eye-One might not be up to measuring the shadow detail. Matte papers scatter light off their surface and this can throw off an instrument. The spectro sees the blacks as too light and you lose shadow detail as a result.

We use a polarization filter on our SpectroLino for our profiling service. Unfortunately the Eye-One doesn’t support one…

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list