Setting highlight and shadow aimpoint in PS for output

I was reading an excerpt from Michael Kieran’s book “Photoshop Color Correction” on creativepro.com see: creativepro.com:80/story/fea … 062-2.html

It is about setting highlight and shadow aimpoints in Photoshop for output devices.

It would seem to me that this technique/approach is not necessary in a coloured managed workflow.
Isn’t it Photoshop’s color management system that will take care of transferring the black (black point compensation turned on) and white point from source to destination???

Even when sending files in sRGB to e.g. a desktop printer or lab printer, the printer software will probably convert from sRGB to it’s internal profile and (hopefully) compensate for the difference in black and white point.

Am I missing something?

Herman

I’m interested in the answer to this as well although, I assume it will have more to do with the rendering intent than white and black points. (where that highlight and shaddow are mapped in output)

At 10:20 AM -0700 6/26/05, Hermie wrote:

I was reading an excerpt from Michael Kieran’s book “Photoshop Color Correction” on creativepro.com see: creativepro.com:80/story/fea … 062-2.html

It is about setting highlight and shadow aimpoints in Photoshop for output devices.

It would seem to me that this technique/approach is not necessary in a coloured managed workflow.
Isn’t it Photoshop’s color management system that will take care of transferring the black (black point compensation turned on) and white point from source to destination???

Even when sending files in sRGB to e.g. a desktop printer or lab printer, the printer software will probably convert from sRGB to it’s internal profile and (hopefully) compensate for the difference in black and white point.

A color managed workflow will take care of carefully reproducing colors that exist in the source image.

Black point compensation will help map the black point of the source SPACE to the destination space to avoid losing shadow detail OR obtain better blacks (or both). Note I said SPACE not image.

Altering an image’s white and black points is all about color correction rather than color management.

So, you might want to alter an image’s white and black points (and gray balance as well, while you’re at it) - THEN a color managed workflow will reproduce it effectively downstream…

make sense?

I guess in simpler terms, a CM workflow is still garbage in, garbage out. Setting points, etc is improving on the … “garbage”

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list