Spool directory not shown

Using CT Pro 3.0.3 under win 8.1 64bit I have a strange problem:
When the filemanager is opened from within CT I can easily find C:\windows\system32 and I see all the directories in the with one exception: the spool directory.
Opening the filemanager in the normal way the spool directory shows up fine.
Apart from that, I have had CT stop working some times - never seen that under win 7. Anyway, the ‘missing’ spool directory is the most anoying problem. Can you help ??
Is there an updated version in the oven ??

Best regards
Ole

Seems like you might have answered your own questions Ole… If you never experienced any of these problems when using Windows 7, it would seem that Windows 8.1 is the culprit here causing all these issues for you.

I know that’s probably not what you wanted to hear, but I’m just thinking about this logically. And no, I’m not a Mac user trying to rubbish Windows, I’m still using Windows 7, still don’t like Win8 and your experiences have just reinforced my choice not to use Win8.

Anyway, getting back to your problems, why not just create a shortcut to the spool folder and that way you will always be able to access the folder and can place the shortcut wherever you find it most convenient?

Sorry I couldn’t be of anymore assistance but at least you have a simple work-around to be able to access the spool folder easily and reliably.

Thanx aaron, the shortcut will have to be the workaround for now.
I don’t think, however, that 8.1 is solely to blame. Lots of other applications using the filemanager API show the spool directory correctly, so I suspect chromix of maybe using outdated API calls - still everything else in the system 32 directory shows up, so the call seems to work. The fact that only the spool directory, on which CT relies heavily, is missing, is strange. The application itself has no problems finding the spool directory.
There has been promises of an updated version for well over a year now…
The problems with the application stop working are gone after a reinstall.
BR
Ole

I have not poked into ColorThink’s internals to check what function is being used to determine the color profile folder, however I suspect Ole’s suspicion of outdated API usage is correct. The following code snippet finds the Color directory on all flavors of windows since Win 2K, including 8.1 and Server 2012 R2:

[code]#include <windows.h>
#include <Icm.h>

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
DWORD pdwPathLen = _MAX_PATH;
TCHAR strProfileFolder[_MAX_PATH];
if (!GetColorDirectory(NULL, strProfileFolder, &pdwPathLen))
_tprintf(_T(“GetColorDirectory error 0x%x\n”), GetLastError());
else
_tprintf(_T(“System profile folder: %s\n”), strProfileFolder);
return 0;
}
[/code]

Note that using GetColorDirectory requires linking against Mscms.lib