Suggestions for a profile for Epson 4000 to match Web press

Greetings.
Here is my situation. I am trying to obtain a profile that will provide me with reliable contract proofs from an Epson 4000 (ultrachrome ink set) for catalog production at a major web printer. Presses are predominatly Heidleberg M3000 or M1000. The printer has an Epson but won’t provide an ICC profile from their control process. They say they use the TR001 target. Our color consultant insists they must have a reference profile but printer says no.

I am using Perfect Proof software to drive the inkjets (OS X) and Eye-One with profile maker. My results using canned profiles and some custom profiles are proofs that are very inconsistent on press. The print vendor drives their Epson with Oris using a DTP automatic reader. This week I ran a trial with booth proofs. The pinters proofs were considerably better and acted very stable on press particularly in neutral grays.

So, I ask you to weigh in. Is the printer not telling me somethig? Could it be the RIP? Is the Eye-One more prone to error because it is hand-held.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Regards.
Guy Rochford :question:

Maybe you could describe a bit how your curent workflow is set up…how you profiled your printer, what test chart did you use, what are you using as you press simulation (TR001 or something else). In short, first make sure your workflow and your printer’s are set up as closely as possible, then look into why your’s is falling short.

That being said, all Rips are not equal. I believe the Oris Rip uses proprietary device link profiles rather than standard ICC profiles, and calibrates the printer colorimetrically. I would therefore think this would be a more accurate process, but I’m not familiar with the Perfect Proof Rip. I wouldn’t think the i1 would be the cause of the problem

Hello Guy
First, you should check, if the proof of the printer is based on TR001.
This should be visible in the controlslug of the ORIS-proof.
The controlslug shows the profiles used for proofing, filename, date etc.

As next step, you should use a system for the verification of proofs.
This is done by measuring a control-strip with the eyeone.
Here in europe, the forgra mediawedge is widely accepted for this step.

So you and the printer can see, if both of your proofs are colorimetcly
correct.

If you have problems with grey, neutral tones on Epson Ultrachrome, try
another GCR-Setting for the proofer-profile:

• GCR 4
  • Start 0
  • Width (?) 10

Is a setting, I use for Ultrachrome-printer to get better neutrals.

Take in consideration, that the TR001 data are measured on black
backing. So the proofer profiling (for TR001) and the
colorimetric-verification should be done on black backing.

Actually new characterizationdata for printing is measured on
white-backing or substrate-backing. In this case, proofer-profiling and
colorimetricly verification should be done on white backing.

:slight_smile: Jan-Peter

guyroc schrieb:

Greetings.
Here is my situation. I am trying to obtain a profile that will provide me with reliable contract proofs from an Epson 4000 (ultrachrome ink set) for catalog production at a major web printer. Presses are predominatly Heidleberg M3000 or M1000. The printer has an Epson but won’t provide an ICC profile from their control process. They say they use the TR001 target. Our color consultant insists they must have a reference profile but printer says no.

I am using Perfect Proof software to drive the inkjets (OS X) and Eye-One with profile maker. My results using canned profiles and some custom profiles are proofs that are very inconsistent on press. The print vendor drives their Epson with Oris using a DTP automatic reader. This week I ran a trial with booth proofs. The pinters proofs were considerably better and acted very stable on press particularly in neutral grays.

So, I ask you to weigh in. Is the printer not telling me somethig? Could it be the RIP? Is the Eye-One more prone to error because it is hand-held.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Regards.
Guy Rochford :question:

Sent from colorforums.com
To start new topics, do not reply to this message. Cut and paste the forum address into a new email.
Return to www.colorforums.com for subscription administration
(c)2004-5 CHROMiX, Inc.

homann colormanagement ------ fon/fax +49 30 611 075 18
Jan-Peter Homann ------------- mobile +49 171 54 70 358
Kastanienallee 71 ------- colormanagement.de
10435 Berlin ---------

Post generated from email list