Total Ink Limit, points on the compas?

I’ve found several TIL targets but little to no advice as to using them effectively, except staring at them in hopes of determining what the limit should be. :confused: This seems to be extreemly problematic when trying to determine TIL for glossy media.

If one were to print a TIL target and measure the patches with an Eye-One device, then plot density and Lab values would this help in the process?
If so, what would one look for?
Max density?
Lowest ‘L’ value?
Where ‘a’ and ‘b’ are closest to 0?
A combination of all?

This has been driving me nuts for the past two weeks…so thanks in advance for any insight.

Anyone?

ANY response is welcome…
I.e.:
Are you high?
Obviously too muany drum cleaner vapors…
Yeah, I’ve wondered that too?
This is the secret sauce the color-voodoo priestess told me not to give out.

don’t use a lot of true glossy media here, but for these I actually prefer having to stare at the TIL targets and look for overinking…ink that appears to just sit on the surface with a matte-like appearance…and reduce ink limits until its indistinguishable. This is less than fun though, and may be an attribute that you don’t have to deal with, depending on paper/ink combo. I haven’t found that density or lab help in this case, but others may have different experiences.

So, ARE you high?

Thanks for the response.
I’m running into the issue where a range of limits appears the same, but when building profiles from each, steps of 20%, the results are definitely diffrent.

[quote="So, ARE you high?[/quote]

From the combination of heat and drum cleaner, maybe!

[quote="

t_username"]
I’ve found several TIL targets but little to no advice as to using them effectively, except staring at them in hopes of determining what the limit should be. :confused: This seems to be extreemly problematic when trying to determine TIL for glossy media.

If one were to print a TIL target and measure the patches with an Eye-One device, then plot density and Lab values would this help in the process?
If so, what would one look for?
Max density?
Lowest ‘L’ value?
Where ‘a’ and ‘b’ are closest to 0?
A combination of all?

This has been driving me nuts for the past two weeks…so thanks in advance for any insight.
[/quote]

What kind of printer are you calibrating? Are you trying to hit a certain standard or do you want to max out your printers capabilities? These factors will affect how you use a TIL target.

I’m calibrating a Roland FJ-500 inkjet running CMYKOGcm and am trying to max out capabilities.
Thanks for any input you can flow my way on this.
Definitely seems more like art than science but I’d like to see if science can give a bit of a guide.

[quote="

t_username"]
I’m calibrating a Roland FJ-500 inkjet running CMYKOGcm and am trying to max out capabilities.
Thanks for any input you can flow my way on this.
Definitely seems more like art than science but I’d like to see if science can give a bit of a guide.
[/quote]

Science can definitely guide here. Plot your densities and look for linear(ish) curves that reach nice high densities. If your curve plateaus, then there is no use letting your inks run higher. But even if your density curve is perfectly linear and the densities are high, your saturation may be plateauing. Plot the hypotenuse of your ab values (remember your Pythagorean theorem) for C, M, and Y to see if your saturation is plateauing. Plot the L* value of K to see if your Black is plateauing. If your saturation/Black is plateauing, then there is no use letting those inks run higher.

The idea here is that if ink density or saturation is not increasing substantially, then it can be limited. A nice graphed curve can be more helpful and precise than merely looking at the printed target with our pathetic human eyes.

Ah! So I was on a some what right path.

I’ll play with this a bit and post results.

Thanks again for the input.

My brain may be playing tricks on me but I have a few other questions/scenarios.

1. Should I be using a specific Total Area Coverage test chart for my individual ink set combination; i.e. hexachrome specific where the black is a build of all six colors? If so, anyone know where to get one or should I delve into building one myself?

2. Working in PMP5 measure tool, whether your separation “CMYK Max” for a hexachrome profile should be your “total ink coverage”, or should your “CMYK Max” be a little lower than the “total ink coverage” to compensate for orange and green in the mix?

TIA for any help!