Trouble calibrating Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb

I’m new at this!
I’m using an eye-one display2. When I go through the initial RGB settings steps in EyeOneMatch, the red and blue channels are pegged to the left even when set at 100%. I can get the green channel placed within the correct range. I then go through the rest of the steps of the calibration and the result looks pretty good, though my cursor is bright blueish green and there seems to be just a very slight magenta cast to the screen.

I’m wondering if there is a problem with this particular monitor that wont allow me to correctly calibrate it, or am I doing something wrong. The result is not terrible, but I am assuming it’s not correct since I could never get the red and blue channels anywhere near the acceptable range and my cursor is green (!).

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

No ideas?
Another aspect of this issue is that the video overlay is definitely green. I guess that’s a different part of calibrating.

I just want to know if I need to replace this monitor, or not. Or, what to look for in order to make that decision.

Thanks…

Jack:
Hold old is your Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb?

One of the things you mentioned (green casting) would indicate an aging monitor (or possibly a bad colorimeter sensor if it’s old), in which case you should be considering your next LCD monitor purchase. Monitors are the weakest part of our workflow. They suffer the most variability of any other traditional device and require increasing the calibration & maintenance as it continues to age. Once a monitor has shifted outside of viewable gamut range, there’s nothing you can do. It can’t be brought back into gamut. Finally, depending on the Grade of the monitor(Consumer vs Commercial), you will get a faster or slower aging process. So it always pays to invest wisely.

oRick Hatmaker, CHROMiX

On Nov 5, 2007, at 4:27 PM, esox wrote:

Post generated from email list

I had a similar problem with a monitor that suddenly showed images with a green cast. I was told that the drivers for my video card might have become corrupted, and that I should at least try to reinstall these drivers. I did so, and everything was perfect.

Fyi – the drivers for the video card are on the Windows installation disk. Just insert the disk and follow instructions. You do NOT have to reinstall the entirety of Windows. You will be able to identify the drivers and reinstall just that component of windows

Tom Willoughby

Post generated from email list

Thanks guys,
First, I’ll try updating my video drivers. If that doesn’t work, looks like it’s new monitor time.

Wow. More ideas are coming all over the place.
It’s always a good idea with an older monitor to look for a “reset” feature in the software or more likely on the hardware itself. I can’t explain it, but I have seen it happen that over the years a monitor will get itself into some kind of state that limits its gamut. Pushing reset to factory defaults will sometimes bring new life into it.

If your cursor is green, it is because your final calibration state has moved your video curves much more magenta-red than the native color of your monitor which is blueish green. (The cursor does not get color managed like the rest of the screen, so its color has bypassed all the normal mechanisms.) And this brings up something that our modern calibration software will do: No matter what state your monitor is in, the software will try its best to wrestle the color into compliance by using the curves in the video card. With your CRT, you really should be adjusting your RGB with the on-screen controls to get as close as you can to your white point aim so the video card doesn’t have to work so hard (and so your cursor won’t be green!) But you know that already.

The other thing to try is to reduce the luminance you are aiming for inside i1Match. If your CRT can’t hit 100 anymore, then set it to 90 or 80. Then, when you are setting the RGB, you may have more room to adjust the reds and blues. By the way, adjust the Red channel first, get that pretty much centered, and then go onto the green, etc.