Trouble with color management

I’m using 6 month old Dell LCD monitor, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX video card, Windows XP Pro, Photoshop CS2. I am using an Epson Stylus Photo R1800

I have calibrated the monitor with a Monaco Optix Pro calibration device. Used 6500K and 2.2 gamma.

I have the color space in photoshop set to Adobe RGB 1998

I have downloaded the .icc profiles for the various paper types from Epson. I’m following the color management steps as indicated in the Epson User Manual. The link below will show the settings I’m using in the print dialogs

openrangeimaging.com/test-po … ings01.jpg

The prints come out significantly darker and lower contrast. To match the image on the monitor to the printed output requires adjusting Brightness -30 and Contrast -30.

Tried talking to a tech support person at Epson, but no help.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mark:
Most likely your problem is that your Dell LCD is too bright. You’re probably viewing the images toobrightly. When you print and apply a profile, the opposing effect occurs (darkness on print). This is one of the common problems with many LCD monitors.

Which monitor calibration tool are you using? Most upper end calibration packages will allow you to adjust brightness. You want to try getting the luminance below 130 cd/m2 if possible, maybe even below 120 cd/m2 if the monitor will let you.

oRick Hatmaker, CHROMiX

On Dec 20, 2007, at 9:59 AM, markf wrote:

Post generated from email list

Rick,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using a Monaco Optix XR calibration device along with th Monaco Optix Pro software that came with it.

“>>You want to try getting the luminance below 130 cd/m2 if possible, maybe even below 120 cd/m2 if the monitor will let you.<<”

That is beyond my understanding. When I use the claibration device it has me adjust the monitor to it’s brightness and darkest levels as part of the calibration process.

I’m not sure what to do. I’m disappointed that I have spent the $ on the calibration device, new monitor and new printer that supports .icc profiles and am getting such problematic output. I really thought I was following the best practices and endeavoring to “do it right” End of sob story

Any other suggestions or help or clarification graetly appreciated.

Mark:
Your procedures appear to be fine.

The Monaco Optix ‘XR’ software is a bit too basic to allow adequate control of your luminance. The next package up (Monaco Optix XR-Pro) allows adequate control, but can’t be bought separately anymore. You can buy it packaged with an instrument, but that’s $279.

Fortunately the DTP-94 colorimeter (sensor) that you have is great. You can add a better calibration software called ColorEyes Display Pro for $171 that will do the job. CED is compatible with your device and will help control brightness downwards for you. It’s a great product and has some other benefits like optimizing your gray balance and trending.Here’s a link to check it out: <http://www2.chromix.com/colorgear/shop/productdetail.cxsa?toolid=1122&pid=10449>

This would be my strongest and least costly recommendation for you.

The other consideration (once you’ve isolated and eliminated viewing weaknesses through better calibration of your LCD) is to possibly try a custom profile for the paper stock(s) you use. These days,Epson’sgeneric profiles are pretty decent. However, because of variations with inks, papers, printer models, user environments and actual usage, a custom profile will almost always out-perform a generic profile that’s supplied by the manufacturer. A custom profile measures your specific printer-paper-ink combination in your environment. Simply, more accuracy.

Not to sound like an advertisement… CHROMiX ColorValet is considered one of the best custom profile services in the world and our $99 Print profiles have a 100% Guarantee to work to your satisfaction. It’s a remote service: you download the client software, print an RGB or CMYK target and send it in. A profile is made and downloaded back to you. Check it out : <http://www2.chromix.com/colorvalet/?> or feel free to give me a call.

oRick Hatmaker, CHROMiX

On Dec 20, 2007, at 10:53 AM, markf wrote:

The colorimeter device is labeled MonacoOptix xr. It’s model number is DTP94B. I believe I purchased the device from Chromix for about $279

The software that came bundled with the colorimeter is called MonacoOptix Pro. This sounds like the software that you suggest is not available for purchase separately. IOW, I appear to have the Pro version.

Can you tell me how to use that to get my system better color managed/adjusted?

Mark:
Good!

I suggest that you give Pat Herold a call in our Tech Support department… he can guide you a bit with the Optix XR Pro software.
206-985-6837 x2

oRick Hatmaker, CHROMiX

On Dec 20, 2007, at 12:17 PM, markf wrote:

I have the same problem but i used a spyder3. i am now resorting to trying to get my printer profiled…