VPR

When will VPR be released?

This week we are wrapping up a new version of Curve2 that will fix the printing of reports in Windows and a few things on the Mac OS.

After that is out, give us a week or so to put out a beta version of Curve2 that will have VPR. At this point, we’re pretty happy with how VPR is going to work, so we’re going to make it available to any with the VPR license who want it, keeping in mind that it is still officially a “beta” version. (In other words, we’re not going to restrict its release to only the beta testers.)

How is this coming along I am still looking for the update with VPR.

Well we finally “wrapped up” the version of Curve2 that I mentioned in my last post. This is available for download now:
Curve 2.0.3:
https://www2.chromix.com/curve2/download

Next up is the VPR version. It should only take us a week or so to have that ready for beta testing.

:cry: how close to release is this software? It is starting to look like VaPoR ware not VPR. The controllers are asking everyday now about this.

I’m sorry it has taken us longer to get this out than we thought. It hasn’t been due to a problem with VPR as much as it’s been other things keep getting pushed in front. Steve Upton is going to the IPA conference next week and I know he wants to have VPR released before then in time for the conference. So we’re scrambling to get a beta out this week.

We finally have the Mac version of the VPR software available for download. You can download it from this link:
www2.chromix.com/curve2/download … 1b3Mac.zip

A more official announcement will come in our next newsletter which is due to come out any day now, but I wanted to give you all in the forums this link as soon as possible.

Please read the readme file that comes with the download, as this explains how the VPR is activated.

Hey!

Does anybody have any feedback on VPR now that it’s out?

I thought somebody might chime in with a question or an “I like this part” or “I don’t like that part” or something.

Our VPR clients are starting to look like VeryPeacefullyReclusive customers. :wink:

Hi Pat,

What about a training webcast to discuss the functions and real life applications of VPR?

Is the purpose to adjust IT8 7/4 data so that you can make an ICC profile of a press from your initial ‘Linear Run’ rather than making another set of plates and printing IT8 7/4 again?

I have always kind of thought if you do the press run correctly and get the curves right you can use standard profiles in proofing (Gracol 2006, SWOP3 etc.) and get a great match to press.

Am I understanding the VPR correctly?

Thanks,

Dan Wilson

Hi Dan,

You’ve got the concept right. Normally one would have to print the P2P target on the press with the linear curves in order to get your G7 curves - THEN - you’d have to run the press again using those curves in order to print targets for profiling the press, etc. What VPR does is apply the curves you got in your first run to the targets that you also ran in your first run so you can do all your curving and profiling with only one press run. The curving is applied to the measurements of your profiling target in the software. This can potentially be even more accurate than running the second press run (considering how inconsistent presses can be.)

Theoretically you could run all your different paper stock through on a single run, get the P2P’s and IT8’s on the sheet, and have everything you need on that single run to be calibrated to G7 and profiled. This is a big time and money saver for large presses.

As you say, if you do the job correctly - the closer you get to your standard, the more accurate the standard profiles will be when used for proofing. I suppose the advantage of VPR is that it will bring your proofs closer to matching the press regardless of how close your press is to the standard. Also nowadays, Curve2 is more than just G7. You can use it for other, customized references.

Regarding further explanation / training -
We uploaded some YouTube movies where Steve is explaining the functions of Curve2 and VPR. These go into it in great detail:
youtube.com/watch?v=jcmRfVDcRmk#t=01m07s