Web-based training for ColorThink Pro

Just received ‘ColorNews’.

A webinar for $450 ! What about a good manual with some real world examples :cry: . When will the documentation for ColorThink Pro be available?

Herman

That be nice…

…not to mention fixing the bugs which crash the program or produce wrong numbers in the color worksheet. I am still running into these very frequently when trying to do real work–not just when bug hunting.

–John

Unfortunately, the program is still very much a beta. Disappointing 6 months after the release date.

Note: I also can’t edit my post, as I get a “Debug” error when I press submit. So, add the configuration bug in the forum software to the list :slight_smile:

–John

At 1:53 PM -0700 6/28/06, Hermie wrote:

a very understandable concern… I had a feeling that someone would say this when we announced the training (it leapt to mind when we first started talking about offering training). It is one of the reasons why we delayed the training.

So… I am happy to say that I have a solution.

One of the challenges we are facing (other than a chronic lack of time) is that documentation, like software, tends to be distributed in monolithic releases that are quite stressful to release and are difficult to update & augment over time.

This, along with the chronic problem of a significant lack of documentation regarding color management in general, has prompted us to come up with a solution.

That solution is ColorWiki

If you haven’t had a chance to use wikipedia then give it a try. Grass-roots-style documentation and articles are a significant source of good information these days and in the the color community we are surrounded by knowledgeable people and little documentation.

So we decided the world needed a wiki-style open documentation system for color and color management issues. ColorWiki.com is nearing release and we are not quite at the stage of announcing it to the world (otherwise it would have been in the most recent newsletter) but we are talking about it quietly and interested in people’s feedback. So far the response we’ve had has been very positive and supportive.

So how does this involved ColorThink? Well, the ColorThink manuals will be one of the first things published through ColorWiki. With the manuals in wiki form we can update them as required and turn them into the living documents that we’ve always wanted. It’s easier to publish in this manner as the initial document can be launched earlier in the process and then updated as time passes. You can even subscribe to be notified when selected ColorWiki articles are modified so you don’t miss changes.

Does this mean I’m expecting others to write the ColorThink manual? no. First, the manual is mostly done. Second, there will be a section of ColorWiki that is reserved for manuals and published articles that are not openly editable. This gives us (and others) a place to publish documentation and copyrighted works without putting them into the public domain and we will be making this area open to others who may want to publish their work. The other, main section of ColorWiki will be much larger (over time) and will be freely editable by any who want to contribute. So we think we will be killing two birds with one stone on this one and helping get our documentation (and changes to it) out to people on a much better schedule.

The timeframe? soon. Soon enough that we are now talking about it and also inviting people to “beta test” the wiki. So if you are interested, please send an email to ColorWiki’s coordinator Pat Herold (herold (at) chromix.com) and when we get to beta stage we will select some people to check it out and start editing content and playing around in the system in its early stages. We really want this to be a useful (and used) community resource so we welcome feedback from all comers. We’ll also start another Forum on this site for wiki discussions so we don’t get people arguing over documents within the documents… could get very messy.

So, I hope this helps clear up our strategy. I apologize for the delay in the documentation and in getting fixes released. We are dedicated to ColorThink and will ensure it will succeed and you will be seeing more about this in the near future.

Also, if you want to be notified when ColorWiki is launched, go to http://www.colorwiki.com/ and sign up to be notified.

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list

Steve,

Thanks for the detailed report on your strategy. I think putting the manual on the ColorWiki is a brilliant idea. It will be a snap to keep the manual updated and make sure everyone sees the updated version.

I may have to sign up to beta test the ColorWiki 8)

–John

[quote="

t_username"]
Steve,

Thanks for the detailed report on your strategy. I think putting the manual on the ColorWiki is a brilliant idea. It will be a snap to keep the manual updated and make sure everyone sees the updated version.

I may have to sign up to beta test the ColorWiki 8)

–John
[/quote]

Very good idea indeed ! I’m looking forward to it.

Herman