Weird behavior with Optix XR Pro on PB/20" Cinema combo

I only occasionally bother to profile my Powerbook as I usually just use it when in dual configuration for palettes etc., but I just ran Optix XR Pro on it for the first time since upgrading to Tiger and it does not behave like I remember from pre-Tiger days…

I launched Optix and got the dual display reminder, dragged the window to the PB screen and proceeded to calibrate and profile. When the software finished and I saved the profile it applied the Powerbook profile to the Cinema display and set the PB display to the Color LCD default profile.

So…thinking this was rather odd I moved the menu bar from it’s normal position on the 20" to the PB making the PB the primary display. I ran Optix again with the application window on the Powerbook. This time the “background” that comes up behind the main window in Optix looked like it was still sized for the 20" display spilling over onto the corner of the 20". I didn’t like the looks of that and quit out of the calibration.

Everything appears to go back to normal if I go into Display Preferences and set each display to it’s proper profile, but the weird behavior leaves me a little uneasy about the process.

On a side note, the Powerbook display now shows a distinct red/magenta cast in the light gray and white UI elements in OSX dialogs that was not nearly this noticeable previously. This may be due to the fact that I set the WP to match the Cinema’s native WP (6850k) rather than using the PB native which is more like about 6370k. I’ll go back to “native” on both displays, but for understanding’s sake I’d appreciate any comment on the subject .

Thanks,

Ross

I didn’t have the profile applied to the wrong screen, but I have had some other strange happenings while profilng a powerbook lcd. I get additional steps in the profiling process when calibrating the powerbook…a “set brightness” step and an “optimize brightness for room lighting” step. All well and good, but I can set the brightness slider literally anywhere and get measurements that are too bright. I crank it to the left and it measures too bright, so I crank it to the right, wait a few measurements, and its back to measuring too bright. :confused: If I happen to get a reading in the green, after a few measurements, its out of whack again. I’ve since concluded that the powerbook lcd isn’t worth the effort to profile and concentrate on the 23" hooked up to it. And yeah, the powerbook monitor always has a red cast to the grays and whites, even with a native whitepoint. This is all on Panther btw.

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the feedback.
I can corroborate your findings with the weird behavior while trying to set brightness WRT ambient conditions. I was able to get the arrow to stay in the green with my ambient light preset to “bright” but that returned a profile with white luminance of like 65 cd/m2! Goofy!

When I get a chance I’m goint to try calibrating the thing on it’s own, disconnected from the 20" and see what that brings.

Since you’re still on Panther I guess that shoots my “Tiger induced” theory…

I was setting moderate ambient light and got a 52 cd/m^2. Meanwhile my 23" was 180ish. :unamused:

At 5:01 AM -0700 6/30/05, rossp wrote:

I only occasionally bother to profile my Powerbook as I usually just use it when in dual configuration for palettes etc., but I just ran Optix XR Pro on it for the first time since upgrading to Tiger and it does not behave like I remember from pre-Tiger days…

I launched Optix and got the dual display reminder, dragged the window to the PB screen and proceeded to calibrate and profile. When the software finished and I saved the profile it applied the Powerbook profile to the Cinema display and set the PB display to the Color LCD default profile.

So…thinking this was rather odd I moved the menu bar from it’s normal position on the 20" to the PB making the PB the primary display. I ran Optix again with the application window on the Powerbook. This time the “background” that comes up behind the main window in Optix looked like it was still sized for the 20" display spilling over onto the corner of the 20". I didn’t like the looks of that and quit out of the calibration.

you might be seeing a “bug” that I heard about in Optix with OS X. I believe Optix assigns the profile to the system-wide level rather than each display. This can result in certain apps asking the OS for a profile and not getting the right profile for a certain display sometimes.

This might be fixed in a newer version of Optix (check w/ X-Rite for the current version) and I thought it was also going to be addressed in Tiger…

I put the term “bug” in quotes as it is not necessarily Optix’s fault and more a strange interaction between Optix and OS X.

Not sure if this is it but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Regards,

Steve

o Steve Upton CHROMiX www.chromix.com
o (hueman) 866.CHROMiX

Post generated from email list