Windows 7 Ultimate Unloading Display Profile

I’ve not been able to nail this down 100%, but my display profile is being unloaded. I think it’s happening when I access my desktop via remote desktop. When I come back to the desktop it’s no longer loaded.

I’ve tested this by opening a tagged image in Photoshop and softproofing to Monitor Color. Normally there is a large shift in color as I have a wide gamut display, but once it unloads toggling between Monitor Color and the image profile has no affect. Essentially the image in Photoshop looks the same as the image in a non-color managed app.

I’m using Eye-One Match 3. I suspect it’s because it does not yet support W7, but the calibration worked, although I had to manually load the display profile in windows right after calibration.

I’m able to get the profile loaded again if I log out and log back into my account or if I reboot.

Has anyone else experienced this or know if there is a solution. I know that in Vista there were issues with the profile being unloaded when the screen was dimmed by the built in security warnings, but I’ve already disabled that in W7.

Cheers,
Jeff

Just a follow up, I see that Eye One Match is now certified W7 compatible, however I just called XRITE support and they basically told me this is a known behavior with Windows in general and there is nothing you can do about it other than to restart, log out/login, or try to start the display loader from the start up menu again. The latter of which does not work for me.

Hi Jeff,

Are you still having trouble with this?

The X-Rite site also has a very simple program for Windows that allows you to change/click on the monitor profile you want to use, and it instantly loads it into your graphics card. It sounds like a very simple fix to your issue. It’s called “DisplayProfile”:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=757&Action=support&SoftwareID=539

Yes, this beahaviour in W7 is areal PITA.

When a screensaver or a light sleep bumps in, the LUT load jumps out. There are some workaround mentioned by Windowspeople but these doesn’t work in real life.

The idea is that W7 should take care of the lutload for the systemprofile as this is default set in the colorprefs of the system. One can uncheck a box well hidden if stepping around in the tabs and pushing some “avance” buttons. This would disconnect the W7/VISTA managment of this and make the thirdpart calibration loader we use to take over. However the problems are the jump out - not the loading.

Getting it back into a videolut load is the harder part…

Hitting the lutloader in the startupfolder most often is dead end - nothing happens. There is some stuck stuff.

When using the workaround Patrick point at, sometimes the load works, sometimes not. At the same x-rite downplace, another little program is for free; the Calibration Tester.

The Calibration tester is a controller of the lutloading. It can load a new lut table which is not from an ICC profile. It can be a saved version in a textdokument. The program can also unload the current lutcurves from the display card. Resetbutton does that. That’s what we’re after now…

The funny thing is that when W7 drops the lutload, the calibration tester still shows the curves as loaded. Even the refresh button still doesnt show the dropout of the lutload. You have to hit the RESET button and then use the program Patrick mention. Now the profile can be loaded without the need to restart the whole thing without a computerreboot.

So, these two litte free programs are in a combo-workaround. Open them side by side if the Display profile on it’s own doesnt load the profile. Hit RESET in the calibrationtester to free upp whats ever is stuck under the hood…and hit then the profile in Dispalyprofile. You’re back in the ballpark.

This is really a crappy system. As far as I heard it was even worse in the VISTA system.

As long as the computer doesn’t get any sleeps or dialogs that darken the screen for a moment, the profile vcgt tag is loaded. On a monitor which in it’s native state is a clear bit off the spot, you notice the droput and can reload. On a monitor that is very well calibrated out of the box with clean greyramps, it is easy to miss the drop of the videolut curves. Photoshop uses the profile as a description of what is NOT loaded as calibration.

Anyway, these two programs makes the windos system behave the way macs always had in regards of videolut load/profileswitch from a list. Still Microsoft can’t solve it… more than in theory. Shame on you, Microsoft.

Ciao,

CG